Sharing files between dual boot OS X and Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by pommephone, Dec 30, 2013.

1. pommephone, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013

pommephone macrumors member

pommephone

No, this is not about network file sharing!:) I plan to use Boot Camp to set up a dual boot of OS X Mavericks, and Windows 8.1 on my rMBP, and am exploring options for storing and sharing files that can be opened and used by both operating systems. Specifically:

1. Can windows open and/or view and/or modify files on the OS X partition and vice versa, when the other OS is inactive? For instance, if there's a photo, file or document on the inactive OS partition that I want to use, can I access it from the active OS?

2. I like the idea of a dedicated partition for documents/files that can be accessed by either OS, but from what I've read, that seems potentially problematic.

Yes, I'm aware that using Parallels may solve some of these issues, I'm still looking for options when using either dedicated OS.

The idea is to avoid too much file duplication, even though with 1TB storage, that's less of a concern. The more I read, the more it looks like some duplication may be inevitable unless I store shared files on an external drive or in the cloud.

Any info or suggestions will be appreciated!

2. DeNachtwacht macrumors member

DeNachtwacht

yes you can see all files, both in windows and os x the OS can see the other OS' files. Writing is more difficult, since os x doesn't support ntfs, and win81 doesnt support hfs.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Dropbox or a NAS (or a Synology NAS with CloudStation).

4. pommephone thread starter macrumors member

pommephone

Thanks for the replies. The idea is to avoid too much file duplication, even though with 1TB storage, that's less of a concern.:) The more I read, the more it looks like some duplication may be inevitable unless I store shared files on an external drive or in the cloud.

5. DeNachtwacht macrumors member

DeNachtwacht