Sharing Files between Mac and PC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skedealz, Aug 23, 2008.

1. skedealz macrumors member

i searched the forums but came up with no answer, so im resorting to creating my own thread....

I was able to see the selected folders i chose to share on my pc from my macbook pro but the connection has not been so stable. i would only be able to randomly see my shared pc folders on my mbp's finder and the only way to get my shared folders showing on the finder was restarting my pc and if that didnt work, restart my mbp. recently the shared folders show up in my finder when i shut it down but no longer shows when i turn it on. and then my mbp completely stopped showing my pc's shared folders in its finder.

how can i fix this? what settings do i need to adjust and to what?
    is there anyway to recalibrate or reset the shared settings between my pc and mac? any help would be appreciated, even if they were a step by step guide from some site

EDIT: im on my mbp now and i just turned off my pc. its detecting my pc now but it cant connect since its off, but when its on, its undetectable.... why is that?

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

why dont you try this? i found this on the support section of apple's website...

Direct connect
    To move files by connecting your Mac directly to your PC:

Connect your Mac to your PC using a standard Ethernet cable.
    Make sure that both computers are turned on.
    In the Finder on your Mac, choose Connect to Server from the Go menu to open the window.
    Type your PC's network address in the Server Address text box using one of these formats:
    smb://DNSname/ShareName
    smb://IPaddress/ShareName

Click Connect.
    Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your PC's workgroup name, user name, password, and the volume or folder you wish to access.
    Your PC volume should appear on your Mac Desktop.
    Open the volume and drag and drop files directly from it to anywhere on your Mac.
    When finished, drag your PC volume to the Trash to unmount it.

this way, you dont have to worry about your connection crapping out...either this or a external hard drive...

hope that helps any :)

3. skedealz thread starter macrumors member

i have already tried this and it doesnt seem to work... thank you for the answer though!
    its not that my connection craps out whenever im connected with it, its just a matter of the connection appearing or not and i would like to try and fix the wireless connection since if im in another room of the house, and i want to get something from my pc, i would be able to without traveling back and forth with wires and cables

4. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

Try installing bonjour onto the PC.

5. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

yeah i should have noted that...

but now my question for you is...your connection to your router isnt always showing up? hmm...

6. skedealz thread starter macrumors member

i have no problem connecting to the internet wirelessly using my airport, however i can no longer detect my pc's shared files/folders on my mbp
    i already have bonjour installed on my pc due to the installation that took place when i set up the airport. however, i removed it and reinstalled it. are there anything that should be open on my pc? are there any bonjour settings i should be aware of?

edit: yeah, i reinstalled it onto my pc and still no luck
    edit2: im now on my mbp and i just turned my pc off, and only now does it detect it. my pc shows under shared when the pc's off, but doesn't when its on

7. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

hmm...thats weird how it shows when the PC is shut off...im not sure exactly what to do next from here...maybe one of the more experienced users may know...im still in the process of earning money for the next MB refresh so i can FINALLY make the switch lol

but i do know that you shouldnt need anything open for bonjour...its a process that runs in the background...so open up the task manager in Windows to double check that you have a bonjour process running...other than that...im not sure what else to do...

8. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

Do you have some odd '3rd party' Windows firewall running? Try stopping this as a temporary test. Is Windows' Server service running?

To take advantage of bonjour, which should help machines on a network see one another, from the mac, try connecting to whatever the windows machine is named with .local on the end. For example, all my computers are named after simpsons characters, so to connect to my main desktop I'd use the name homer.local and to connect to my media centre, bart.local

9. skedealz thread starter macrumors member

nope, totally have no firewall on my pc, and i've tried turning peerguardian and little snitch off on my mac. then i waited 5-10 minutes to see if it would see it.
    i can't connect to any other machine because nothing shows up under "shared", i dont even see the "shared" section/tab
    how would i know if the windows server service is running?

i went into my processes and i cant find bonjour, is it running under a different name thats not like bonjour.exe?

10. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

try this to check:

go to start->run

type in "msconfig" without the quotes

and go to services, and check if the Bonjour service is checked...if not just check it and you might have to restart your PC to enable it...

hope that helps

11. skedealz thread starter macrumors member

yep, bonjours checked and running.
    still no luck

12. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

lol dang...

i still cant get over the fact that your PC is only showing up when it is off...thats the opposite of what its supposed to do lol...

lets see...i did a quick google search, and came up with this...

http://www.mac-connect.com/win_mac_samba.php

see if that does anything, if you havent done this already

13. skedealz thread starter macrumors member

aaahhhhh,turned off peerguardian&littlesnitch, restarted, and i did what you said however i enabled smp and the other advanced sharing type since the guide wasnt os x which i have. im guessing the image they used in the guide was from the tiger os
    still no luck!

14. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

lol

oh this just popped in my head...when you tried to do the direct connect...did you use a crossover cable? or just a normal ethernet? cuz im pretty sure a normal ethernet wont be able to transfer files between comps...only a crossover cable will...

15. skedealz thread starter macrumors member

normal ethernet lol, yeah thats what i thought but its outta the question for me since i've already spent so much money lately.... i even accidentally bought another macbook lol

16. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

what!?!?!?! hahahahaha how did you ACCIDENTALLY buy another one?

well if youre short on money...but this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10232&cs_id=1023202&p_id=2375&seq=1&format=2

add shipping in and it should come out to like 4 bucks...

17. skedealz thread starter macrumors member

oohhhh these cables, i should have one of these after i transfered files from my old pc to my new pc. i gotta look for that.

i bought my macbook pro for 920 last month.
    and so like a couple nights ago, my friend asked me to help her look for a macbook at a good price. so i saved a bunch of searches on ebay and in the morning, i receive a notification saying that theres only 2 more hours left til the auction is over. so i went over to the auction and saw that it was a 2.4ghz macbook with 3 years of applecare til 2011. my macbook pro only had 2.16ghz and no more warranty, so i wanted to sell that and replace it with the new one. i thought it was such a good deal that i bought it right then and there because i was afraid some one else would buy it before i did. after buying it, i realized that i had just bought a MACBOOK, NOT A PRO. so i tried talking to the guy to work something out but if i got him to relist it, i'd have to pay him somewhere around 200. so i decided to just get it shipped to me and i'll just sell it to someone i know or somethin haha

18. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

hahahahahah thats a funny story...do you really need a pro though? i mean, the macbook is pretty capable unless youre doing more graphic stuff...

19. skedealz thread starter macrumors member

well i like the pro since its got a bigger screen, the keys light up and i like the keyboard on it also since its not flat spaced keys, the keys on a pro are more computer-like cause they're curved. and i like using the light sensors with shadowbook to change spaces with a wave of the hand lol

20. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

oh ok...yeah thats why im still stuck between choosing a pro or just a macbook...i still have to save up so i guess that buys me time to see what the new updates bring...

21. dctx6 macrumors newbie

shadowbook with spaces?

how did you get shadowbook to work with spaces? i've been trying to figure it out for a while now

22. skedealz thread starter macrumors member

it semi works with spaces
    only the first 3 spaces work with shadowbook and if you're in any other space, shadowbook wont work
    so you gotta go back to one of the first 3 spaces to get shadowbook working again

back on topic again pleaseee.
    my mbp's been able to detect my pc while its on quite frequently lately, however it keeps telling me that theres some sort of error with the connection