Sharing files between Snow Leopards and Tigers

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DanWan, Jan 22, 2011.

1. DanWan macrumors newbie

How to Share files in my local Network
    My Snow Machines talk to each other. My Tiger machines too.
    This suggests that the router works, the various preferences are set, the cables are well connected.
    However Snow Machines and Tigers do not share anything and they are invisible to each other. No matter how I attempt to identify them on my Network. They just recognize the ones using the same System (SL see SL, Tiger see Tiger)
    I tried Airport, Ethernet
    When Tiger attempts to find a SL machine or viceversa I always get this answer:
    "The server may not exist or it is not operational at this time. Check the server name or IP address and try again." I don't understand this message. I can see the various machines operating at full power in my working space and the router blinking normally.
    Is it a bug or they are not meant to communicate?
    I've carefully identified the machines in every reasonable way, with names and IP numbers. Ne results.

Any hints?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

3. DanWan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

No I don't have it enabled.

However even bonjour between these different Sys requires a successful connection. I am unable to create it. Only bluetooth works. Or booting Tigers in Firewire Mode as ext. HD. If this is OK with Laptops it isn't with desktops.

Each machine does one job. Not every app gets ported to newer systems so I need to keep Tiger for certain things.

Is really very annoying not to be able to share files between Macs.

I assume the general protocol should be similar to all "internetish" kind of connctions.

Why it does not work is a mystery to me.

It just keeps showing me the increasing indifference and disregard Apple keeps delivering to customers.

Soon I will turn to Windows after 40+ years with Apples

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I don't see a failing by Apple here. MacOS X 10.6 connects to the world via TCP/IP. It automatically discovers other Macs via Bonjour. But if you steadfastly refuse to turn on Bonjour, then welcome to Windows.