Sharing files between users

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tommy060289, Jul 3, 2011.

1. tommy060289 macrumors regular

Hey everyone, I have some folders with things in that id like my girlfriend to be able to see when she is logged in to her account on the same imac so I have gone into the folder and enabled sharing and read and write with her name but when I log in as her I cant find them anywhere.

If I go into users on the hard drive and then my name I cant access the folders they are stored in as the whole folder hasn't been enabled for sharing (ie the folder above it) and they are not in the shared folder from what I can see either so how do I access these files?

Cheers,

Tom

2. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

If the problem is that the whole folder hasn't been enabled for sharing, couldn't you simply move the gf-shared folder up to the appropriate level (e.g. under "yourname" instead of in the subfolder that isn't enabled for sharing)? That's what I've done to share one of my folders, and it lets me access it from the other account just fine.

The only downside I can imagine with that is it might mess up your organization a little...

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

It sounds like you've enabled network file sharing, as in another computer on the network could see and access the folders. Here is some practical examples for sharing an iTunes or iPhoto library between users on the SAME computer. You should be able to apply the same principle to other folders on the computer.