Sharing Files on WiFi with a PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Oldmanmac, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Oldmanmac macrumors 6502

I have a home network, sharing a printer with my iMac & a PC. I would like to share files between the 2 computers. I can "see" the PC from my Mac, but can't "connect" to it.
    If I can print from both computers to the same printer and can see the other computer, what do I need to "connect" them in order to share files?

Is this an inherent thing, or did I need a 3rd party app?

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you enabled file sharing in Windows (assuming you run Windows on the PC, as PC nowadays is short for Windows somehow - lucky Apple for successfully making that **** stick)?
    Have you enabled file sharing in Mac OS X, if you want to access your Mac from a Windows computer?

For both actions, there are plenty of guides out there.

3. Oldmanmac thread starter macrumors 6502

It's Win7.
    I have on the mac, I believe. I am not as confident on Win7.
    But it doesn't require a separate app to do this, right? Just the checkboxes and selecting the right stuff.

4. waynep macrumors 6502

You need to enable file sharing on the Win machine. You then need to set a folder or drive to be shared. That should allow you to connect to it from your Mac.

Another option that is pretty easy is Dropbox. Install clients on both machines and you will have a folder that is sync'd between them.