Sharing files/photos between Android and iOS without internet

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by pika2000, Jul 21, 2019.

1. pika2000 macrumors 603

Sharing files and photos between iOS devices is ultra easy thanks to AirDrop.
    In the Android world, it seems it's all over the place. Huawei devices have Huawei share, at least.

But what about between platforms? I've tried many so-called file transfer apps, but they are all only work when they feel like it. Shareit, sendanywhere, etc all seem to work once and then I can never get them to work again. Tried all the QR code scanning and wifi hotspot crap.

Yeah, sharing via cloud is possible, but when you're on the field and want to transfer huge files, relying on cellular is too slow. Any other ideas, especially ones that don't require sending files through internet (be it cloud storage, chat, email, etc)?

2. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

With iOS 13 you could use an external device like a usb stick. Connect the USB pen to one device transfer the files over, then connect it the second device and access and transfer the required files.

3. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

As of now, there’s no solution to this without using internet or a laptop to some extent. But things will change with iOS 13, you’d still need a storage to push the files to.

4. SteveJUAE macrumors 68030

SteveJUAE

5. FFR Suspended

FFR

Don’t think you have ever used airdrop.

6. pika2000 thread starter macrumors 603

I'm sure this comment can be constructive without being condescending.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 22, 2019 ---
    That would help, but still requires a storage device with both lightning and USB-C OTG support.

7. Harthag macrumors 6502a

OnePlus has File Dash built into the phone's file manager. I've yet to try it, we'll see how it works come September if I get the new iPhone. Anyone try it?

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

You probably won't even need a USB stick, since any Android device can act as a storage device. Just an adapter or male to male cord would do.

9. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Pardon my ignorance, Would this work with a Mac? Or do I need a USB-C to USB 2.0 adapter?
    In my case it would be macOS to Android.

I am seriously considering going back to Android. The last time I wanted to get movies onto an Android phone I had to use Mini SD readers, which I do not like, or want to use. I would transfer btw the iMac and phone, or phone and external drive.

Thanks all...

10. pika2000 thread starter macrumors 603

Transferring files from PC/Mac to Android is easy. Just use the Android File Transfer from Google themselves.
    https://www.android.com/filetransfer/
    Plug in your phone via USB, and transfer away.
    There are plenty of apps that do this wirelessly as well.

11. Coffee_Time macrumors regular

LG also had Air Drive for about 2 years. Androids in general also had wifi file transfer apps.

12. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Thank you very much.