Sharing files with PC's on home network...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by powz, Feb 7, 2008.

1. powz macrumors regular

Sorry for the newbie question, but how do i share files with PC's on my home network if I'm running Leopard? Shared folders used to show up with Tiger in my Finder, but I can't seem to locate them after upgrading to Leopard...

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Make sure you are on the same windows workgroup as the PC you are trying to share with.

You can change the workgroup by going to System Prefs->Network->Advanced ->WINS->Workgroup

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

You may find that it is easier to turn on PC file sharing on your Mac and make the mac available to the windows machine. Then work from the windows machine to copy the files where you want.

It is inconvenient, but I have found that it is easier to get working, since it doesn't require any special setup on the Windows machine.

If you don't need to access the files very often, this may be an acceptable work around for you.

I have never been able to reliably access the PC's folders from my mac. I can usually get to a point where I can see them, but I can't open them because of some type of permission issue...

4. powz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses. The Workgroup is right, but I still don't see the PC's. I'll try turning on PC files sharing on my Mac.

5. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

There is a huge issue currently with 10.5 (Leopard) and a bunch of threads both here and the Apple Forum complaining of this. Some users seem to have no problems while a lot cannot get connections/sharing with PC unless manually mapping to it thru Finder. I for one am hoping Apple fixes this with the next update.

Bill......:apple:

6. powz thread starter macrumors regular

At least I know it's not just me! Thanks for the link. I'll try it out if Apple still hasn't fixed the problem in the next update (which, according to rumors on this site, should be soon).