Sharing files with windows

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by themacguy12, Jul 29, 2008.

1. themacguy12 macrumors regular

themacguy12

Alright, I have been helping my school setup about 20 new lenovo PC's and 2 iMacs. It is a newspaper class, but this isn't a small little newspaper. I am trying to figure out a way to setup a way for students to write their article and give me the word document files and pictures along with it. What would be the easiest way to do this? setup the Mac as a server? if so how do i configure the windows side to see the server? is there a cool app that will do this for me? i need help!

another thing i am doing is setting up a wordpress site so students can log on and post their articles online and it to be printed. i am very excited as the graphic designer to get this all working smoothly. so any bit of information helps

the PC's have XP and the school blocks most ports (network wise) except for port 80 but they have a ton of filters. and the iMacs are the newest, running leopard of course.

Thanks in advance!

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

It's pretty easy to set up a mac as a file sharing server.

Apple (menu) > System Prefereces... (menu item) > Sharing (panel)

Now unlock the panel (little lock in the lower left hand corner) and check File Sharing.

This enables apple filesharing protocol (AFP). You'll need to also enable samba (SMB) ie: windows file sharing. To do this hit the options button in the lower right hand corner when you have the File Sharing checkbox text selected. Check the appropriate boxes and you'll be ready to share the files assuming the IT department doesn't have the router setup funky.

3. themacguy12 thread starter macrumors regular

themacguy12

I know how to set that all up, the problem is getting the windows machines to see it and making it easy for students to drop files in. How do i configure windows?

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Go to the network places and create a new mount. Input the mac server's ip address, username, and password. It should then always be available as the z drive (I think it defaults to z).

5. themacguy12 thread starter macrumors regular

themacguy12

ok i will try that. but i dont have admin privileges

6. baummer macrumors 6502a

You'll need to do it from an account that does have admin privileges.

7. themacguy12 thread starter macrumors regular

themacguy12

how about an app that does ftp sharing and windows users can go to the local address in their browser and upload files?

8. themacguy12 thread starter macrumors regular

themacguy12

oh look! FarFinder

flyingmac.com

9. ctshu2002 macrumors newbie

If the XP computers have file sharing enabled, and any installed firewalls allow firesharing, then sharing should be no problem.

I can share files from my MBP and another laptop with windows XP MCE 2005 with no problem, but have a problem with Vista home sharing.

I checked my preferences again now, and under sharing I dont have the file sharing or samba installed.

When I click on the Macintosh HD, in the left column, under shared, I see the name of the windows computer, which I can click on, and see all of the shared folders. I can copy and place files, movies, pics, etc. in their with no problem. That laptop can see the Vista PC so I can share by 2 hops. I don't know why this works this way.

When I did enable the file sharing and windows sharing, it didn't allow me to see the other laptop at all. I don't know if this works because my access point has the AppleTalk protocol loaded or not.

10. ctshu2002 macrumors newbie

you could also check with the school IT dept if they have a common or share folder for the school and have them set one up for your group and if necessary restrict the access to only those members in your group and yourself. then they would be able to put the files into the folder and you would be able to view them (if this your school's network is a Windows network though, I think the iMacs would need to be setup to log on to the windows network)