Sharing files?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tawcat, Oct 15, 2011.

1. tawcat macrumors regular

How do I setup my iPad to share files with my iMac? I have the proper blocks checked in iCloud. I've turned on file sharing through my iMac settings.

When I open Pages on my iPad the only options I'm given to share through is iTunes, iDisk and WebDav. I thought I'd be able to see all the files on my iMac.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

2. tawcat thread starter macrumors regular

Hard for me to believe I haven't received an answer to this yet.

3. stevep, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

That's because you've given us very little information. Is the iMac running Lion? Is the iPad running iOS 5? Have you created an iCloud account? Or even logged onto www.icloud.com?
    If the answer to any of the above is 'no' then you should download the free Dropbox app to both your iPad and your iMac. Other on-line storage apps are available but I only have personal experience of Dropbox.
    If the answer to all the above questions is 'yes' then I suggest you take a look at the iCloud and MobileMe forum, as there is a wealth of information there.

edit, after a quick Google on Pages/iOS 5/ OS X loads of info available, for instance:
    Pages
    *Automatically store your documents in iCloud and keep them up to date across all your iOS devices (you don't need to 'save' your files in the iOS app, in fact there isn't even a 'save' button, it does it automatically).
    *Download your documents to a Mac or PC at icloud.com/iwork as Pages ’09, Word, or PDF files.
    *Drag and drop Pages ’09, Word, or plain text documents to icloud.com from your Mac or PC to have them automatically appear on your iOS devices.

4. shortcrust macrumors 6502

I just use Dropbox. Pages on my iPad can't see my iCloud docs at the moment. Don't know what the problem is, but I'm not sold just yet.

5. tawcat thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry for the lack of info.

Yes I am running Lion, yes I am running IOS5, Yes I have setup my iCloud.

I will look at the link you provided. Thank you.

----------

Just looked in the app store for Dropbox, is this an exclusive iPad app?

6. shortcrust macrumors 6502

[/COLOR]Just looked in the app store for Dropbox, is this an exclusive iPad app?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you mean by an exclusive iPad app, but you should find a free iPad Dropbox app in the store. If you're not familiar with Dropbox, you open a Dropbox account which you can they access from any device (iOS, mac, pc) with Dropbox software installed. My mac has a Dropbox folder which is just like any other folder. If I drop a file into that folder it becomes available on my Ipad a few moments later.

I should add that I can now access my iCloud files in pages on my iPad again, but I had to turn iCloud off and on again in the pages settings. I'll not be converted until iCloud works seamlessly with pages on my mac.

7. tawcat thread starter macrumors regular

I found the Dropbox as an iPad app, but did not find it as an app for my iMac. So how do add it to my Mac?

Thanks.

8. shortcrust macrumors 6502

9. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

I think the problem is that Pages, Numbers and Keynote on the Mac have not yet been updated to support iCloud. That will need to happen before we get completely transparent sharing between iOS and Macs.

A possible workaround is to upload and download documents through the iCloud.com website when you are on your Mac. You can get more details in the answers to this stack exchange question.

10. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

Box.net have 50gb free when you download their iOS app.

11. ssgrif macrumors member

i use dropbox on my ipad1, iphone 4 and pc at home, all works perfectly, plus its free.

12. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I can't figure out what to do w/ this. Yay 50GB, but a 100mb upload size I can't even backup my iPhoto library or anything else I really care about. Am I missing something?