Sharing Folders with Boot Camp and VMWare Fusion?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ToddJ, May 15, 2009.

1. ToddJ macrumors 6502

I installed Vmware Fusion 2 awhile back and liked how I could share the pictures and music folders between my Mac (which they were stored on) and the Vmware Fusion 2 Windows install. However, i was disappointed on how sluggish it was. So I (after some initial trouble) partitioned my hard drive and installed Windows 7 on the Boot Camp partition. However, now i cannot share folders between my mac and windows. Is there a way to do this?

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Create a new partition on your drive - it does not have to be bootable.

Do one of the following:

(1) Format it to FAT32. Both OS X and Windows will be able to read and write.

(2) Format it to HFS+. Install MacDrive under Windows. Both OS X and Windows will be able to read and write.

3. ToddJ thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried formatting the partition using Fat32. However, Windows wouldn't let me install it to it. it said that it had to be installed on a NTFS. I'm certain I am doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what. (and my partition is less then 32gb - it is 25)

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You might have misunderstood my post - you'll need a total of three partitions: 1 for OS X, formatted HFS+; 1 for Windows, formatted NTFS; and 1 as your "transfer" partition, formatted to FAT32.

5. ToddJ thread starter macrumors 6502

Windows 7 and programs like MacDrive

ok...i think i know what the problem is...the programs like MacDrive are not yet compatible with Windows 7. I thought the differences between Windows 7 and Vista (in this respect) wouldn't be that different, but i guess they are. I installed Vista on my Boot Camp drive and now I can "read" those photos and music (it works with Windows Media Center which is the main thing I wanted.) has anyone found a program like MacDrive that works with the beta of Windows 7?