Sharing iLife files on multiple Macs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Wingnut330, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

Hey All,

Is there an easy way to share files on multiple Macs? I want to be able to edit my webpage in my .Mac account from either my MBA or my Mini. This means iPhoto etc needs to be accessible. Is this possible?

2. Spievy macrumors regular

Not sure if this will help but

You can share your libraries in itunes and iphoto. On the host computer, go to preferences (in your iLife programs) and click sharing, the rest is self explanatory. On your other computers do the same but click "Look for Shared Libraries".

3. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. aeryk71 macrumors newbie

aeryk71

What I do is copy the iweb "domain" file / folder onto a USB stick and and move it around from machine to machine as needed... IO belive you can also change the iweb settings to actually LOOK for the info on a usb stick or some such thing but have not bothered to figure that out yet

Hope this helps.

5. deetle macrumors member

What I have found out is that iLive apps work well on a single Mac on its local HD ( iPhoto and iTune are what I have used , so I can not speak really for the other iLive apps ).

To share out libraries to show pics or play music threw the supported way using the Preferences settings of the different apps works ok , but still has kinks to be worked out. For example when closing iTunes it is smart enough to not actually close down so the shared library still is accessible , but Iphoto is not , so you have to be diligent to not actually close down iPhoto , otherwise its shared library will not be accessible. Also features are reduced, for example in iTunes cover-flow is not available on shared library.

But once you actually put the libraries on a USB and/or network HD , iTunes and Iphoto start to have some real issues. The issues have to do with the fact that a shared resource might go away while it is being used , or might not be available when the application starts and these apps can not handle that very well. The reason for the disk to not be available or go away could be that the USB disk has been unplugged , or it has not been plugged in. Or the wireless connection has been lost for a network disk.

iTunes for example marks songs with a ! if it had issues accessing them. It has no concept of the device the library is on comes and goes. So when I sync an Ipod or iPhone with songs that are marked ! ( even if the HD containing the songs is accessible again) it will skip syncing them. I have not found a single operation to undo this check. What I have been doing with lots of frustration is to go threw the library and click on each song shortly , once it plays this ! is gone.

iPhoto in some cases creates a empty photo library if it can not find the original one. Again not aware that the device the library is on doesn't exist or has gone away. In my case the iPhoto library was on a shared disk . ( AEBS with a USB disk \volumes\Shared Disk\ ) At one time this disk was not accessible iPhoto created a folder called "Shared Disk" under "\Volumes", and created the empty library in it. So the path to the library was the same but instead of located on the disk at "\Volumes\Shared Disk" it was in a folder at the same path. This folder by the way was not listed in finder , or any files in it could not be found with finder or even a share ware tool called EasyFind. More on this at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=434002&highlight=iPhoto

6. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's frustrating and I hope they find a way to fix it - especially given the MBA platform. I would imagine more and more folks are doing what I'm doing and that is leaving the bulky files on their desktops and going thinner with the AIR. I still want access to the files etc. though. It would be nice to be able to edit my website from either machine.

7. l8to89 macrumors newbie

Sharing Files

This is an old mac addict trick i read one time, that works with itunes really well. If you have your mac mini act as a sorta server at home and you only plan to access the files from your laptop when your home. Then you can create an alias for the itunes folder on the laptop to the itunes folder on the mac-mini. Works great if the mac-mini is kept on, and you never leave the house.