Sharing info between two macs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trevor.resar, Sep 2, 2009.

1. trevor.resar macrumors newbie

I own a 24" iMac, as well as my newly purchased MacBook Pro.

How can I keep my contacts, files, music, pictures, etc. up to date and the same between the two?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

if you have mobileme, that does it very easily. at least your contacts, calendar, email settings and such. I'm not sure but you may be able to do the same with the pictures and music.

3. Sirolway macrumors 6502

MobileMe is probably the easiest way to Sync everythign it does - Address Book, Calendar etc.
    For most other things I use DropBox - the 2GB free account is enough for most apps that store a data file on your hard disk - move the data file to your DropBox folder & all your Macs are updated automatically

The main things I haven't figured out yet are iPhoto (70+ GB library file) and iTunes (ditto)

DropBox is excellent - can't recommend it highly enough - I use it on 2 Macs & 1 Windows PC

4. pprior macrumors 65816

Another vote for mobileme. The name (and domain) is HORRID, but it is easy to use and makes life simple with multiple macs.

Wife loves it.

5. trevor.resar thread starter macrumors newbie

I just can't justify spending 100 dollars a year to make sure my files are synced. And that 100 dollars won't even do my media.

6. pprior macrumors 65816

Well if you don't need to do this remotely, there is an application called syncopation that can sync your itunes between computers over a LAN.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

7. glowjangles macrumors newbie

I have the same issue. Dropbox was recommended for file updating, but I want exact copies of my music, pictures (lighroom), and anything else I change to be reflected on both computers.

I'm going to take a look at chronosync this evening. I've read some things that sound like it might be what we're looking for. Anyone else with suggestions?

8. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

9. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Microsoft Live Mesh is free to use and can do most if not all of what you want.

10. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

ScreenCastsOnline

The itunes and iPhoto syncing problems were just covered in a recent screencastsonline webcast.

If you are not a member of SCO you are missing out in my opinion. I've learned alot since joining.

for itunes Don suggested supersync and for iphoto i think the app was called iphoto library manager. He goes over in detail how to use them in the webcast.

shameless plug--if you do sign up for SCO use my link here and I get a piece of the action:

http://www.screencastsonline.com/scoaffiliates/jrox.php?id=302_1