Sharing internet access - legal situation?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by (marc), Oct 12, 2010.

1. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Hi,

I'd like to share my internet access with my flatmates. However, I do not want to be held responsible if they illegally download files from the internet.

What are the best ways to make this safe for me? Maybe some kind of WPA2 enterprise user-account system so I can track who downloaded what in case I get sued?

Thanks for any help on this!

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

chances are if you get sued your defense can and should be I did not do it. Chances are they will confiscated all computers in the flat. Then if they find illegal content on them they will go after the owner of the computer. They can only trace it back to the router from their you have to provide the rest.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Associate yourself with people who can be held in higher regard and that have enough respect for you that they would not do that on a shared internet connection.

Or give them access by way of adding their MAC (not computer) address, that may be easier to determine who is doing what ... though I am not 100$ sure how.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Unless you pony up for some expensive equipment, you won't be able to log who does what. Your basic $50 Netgear and Linksys routers can't do that.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Contact a lawyer and have a contract written up that says they'll be responsible and have the flatmates sign it. When illegally downloaded content is taken to court, they have to find the file on the machine and as long as it isn't on your own machine or hardware, you'll be fine. Specifics will vary between countries and states even.