Sharing internet connection from MacBook to AirPort Express

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lizdavies, Aug 8, 2010.

1. lizdavies macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a one-room internet query that seems to me it should be easy to resolve, but I can't figure out how. I have a MacBook running Snow Leopard, an AirPort Express – and an ethernet internet connection. I want to use my AirPort Express to wirelessly play music from my computer out my speakers. I had absolutely no problem setting this up in my last flat because there I was on a wireless internet connection. However, here my speakers are on the other side of the room from the ethernet socket so simply creating a wireless network that my computer could join using the AirPort Express isn't an option.

I tried turning on internet sharing to see if it would make things easier, but it didn't. My iPhone found the network my computer created instantly, but the AirPort Express couldn't seem to see it.

Is there any way at all to share an ethernet connection wirelessly through the AirPort Express? It seems like an obvious kind of thing to be able to do, but I haven't been able to find a way to do it so any advice would be much appreciated!

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Hi, I do not fully understand what is the set up that you want to have.
    Is it something like this:

wired ethernet -> Mac Wi-Fi -> Airport Express as AirTunes -> speakers
    I think you need to use the sharing settings in your Mac and use AirPort utility and to configure AirTunes, but I never done this, so good luck.