Sharing internet connection from PC to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by acearchie, Mar 21, 2008.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I have searched the internet and found countless articles on Mac to PC but none the other way round, is it possible?

I have to do it this way since my Mum's ISP is AOL and she is using the BT Voyager 100 (which used to work with drivers on the mac but since running 10.5 and the re-vamp of the system preferances and network I don't think it still does (unless anyone can tell me different!))

SO is there a way to use this vaio I am typing on to share its internet connection through an ad-hoc/wireless connection using its own wifi?

THanks

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I'm confused, is the vaio connected via ethernet or wireless? If it's connected via wireless, it could share an internet connection through it's wired connection. Don't think it can connect to the internet through wireless AND work as a wireless repeater though.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

In your network connections system folder, just highlight the two connections you want to share between and select "bridge connections".

TEG

4. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Ok maybe I didnt make myself clear the PC is the one connected to the internet via a USB ADSL BT Voyager 100 Router to AOL broadband...

The PC is an old vaio but has wifi

I some how want to get internet on my powerbook g4 (with wifi) and I dont have an Ethernet cable...

Any solutions?

THanks

5. markehannelly macrumors newbie

Use the VAIO as a gateway

If you connect the VAIO to the Voyager you can use Windows ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) to share the internet connection. This feature is present in Windows Operating Systems since Windows 98 2nd Edition. CNET TV has a good video in showing you how to do this(http://www.cnettv.com/9742-1_53-28619.html)
    Hope this helps,
    Mark H :apple: