Sharing Internet Connection Wirelessly with 360?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by FadeToBlack, Dec 27, 2007.

1. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I'm not even sure if this is possible, but I was wondering if there's any way to set up an ad-hoc connection between my iMac and my 360? (which has an official Microsoft wireless adapter) This way, I won't have to have a wireless router. I've tried to search around on Google, etc, to no avail. If anyone can help, I'll greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

3. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I read through that thread and did another Google search, which returned tons of matches and I even found a post from you where you made a guide on how to do it, but I still can't get it to work. You were describing (at least that's what I got from it) how to do it if you already have a router. I don't have a router hooked up and I need to manually assign the 360 an IP address and I'm not sure how to do that. I'm not an expert on networking, by any means. I have an old cable modem/wireless router combo here somewhere. Maybe I should just go try to find that? :D

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'll tell you what. It's late here (1AM), so in the morning I'll try and do exactly what you want to do, and post the result to hopefully get it working.

Networking can be hit and miss and often it's just a simple setting that you miss, but finding that simple thing is ironically frustrating and needlessly complicated ;)

If I can get it working here, then hopefully the same settings will work for you. :)

5. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Man, I appreciate it. I honestly have no clue what I'm doing once it gets a bit TOO geeky for me. :D

I've set up numerous wireless networks, but that's easy. This is a bit too complicated for me. :p

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

OK I got it working (this is Leopard now)

First thing you need to do is open Terminal and type in

ifconfig en0

and from the results that pop up look for the number after inet

here mine was 10.0.1.168

--------

Second thing to do is to manually sort out the IP of Airport.

So go to your airport settings in system preferences / networking and in the advanced tcp/ip settings area.

Change from DHCP to Manual

IP address: 192.168.0.1
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 10.0.1.168

Next to the internet sharing section in System Prefs / Sharing

Enable internet sharing from ethernet to airport.

--

next up the 360

Edit settings so

IP settings

IP address 192.168.0.2
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.0.1

Test... it should fail DNS

Change DNS settings to the ones we got from the terminal search / inet

(in my case)

Primary: 10.0.1.168
    Secondary: 10.0.1.169 (i just went up a digit, if that doesn't work keep it as the same number as primary)

Test connection

Xbox live past.... however my NAT was moderate, but that's better than strict and at least gets you started.

I really hope it works for you......

I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

7. S600MBUSA macrumors regular

8. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

It works!!! Thanks so much, man!!! I had to go into System Preferences and find my DNS info, but that's no big deal. (They are listed in the Ethernet section of the Network Preference Pane)

One question, though. How do I set all this back to default once I'm done using it? I'm planning on switching to Verizon DSL soon and they will be giving me a wireless modem, so I won't need to do this anymore.

Again, thanks so much!! :)