sharing internet from imac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dragonmantek, Dec 9, 2008.

1. dragonmantek macrumors regular

dragonmantek

I just can't figure this out, let me explain.

My father got an MSI Wind [XP for those of you who don't know], and I'm trying to figure out how to share the internet connection on my iMac, because his room is too far from the router.

I've tried searching for guides and whatnot on google and apple, and I've had no success.

this is frustrating as it is so easy to do on windows.

could anyone give me a detailed step by step guide?

thanks in advance.

2. jciapara macrumors regular

I find it easier on Mac OS X, Although it's not working on my computer at the moment, but for some other reason. Just go to System Preferences (Click on the Apple to the top left) then go to Sharing (the folder with the yellow triangle), the click on Internet sharing, I don't know if you're using Tiger or Leopard, in both you have to select from which connection you want to share your internet, (your case Ethernet) and the select share to people on Airport. And is if you're using Tiger you have to click on Start, and on Leopard automatically turns on when selecting Airport. Hope it helps. Good Luck.

3. dragonmantek thread starter macrumors regular

dragonmantek

no no, i want to share my wireless internet that i receive. in other words, i do not have an Ethernet cable attached.

4. MusicallySilent macrumors member

Hmm, that is a good question, I am not sure if it is even possible on most OS's

It seems what he is asking to be is a wireless range extender for the MSI wind. More or less a signal repeater.

5. dragonmantek thread starter macrumors regular

dragonmantek

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

My wireless router works just fine while I'm sitting in my car across the street.:eek: You could always move the router, or not.:confused: What about Airport Extreme?

7. dragonmantek thread starter macrumors regular

dragonmantek

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Oops, sorry to hear that...:eek: