Sharing Internet Not Working

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mac man 007, Nov 10, 2010.

1. mac man 007 macrumors newbie

mac man 007

Hi all,

I have updated to 10.6.5 and now my imac which shares my ethernet internet connection to my other macs and windows computers has now stopped working and i cannot think of any way to try and fix it.

I Really need help

Mac Man 007:confused:

2. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Not an uncommon occurrence when you update your system.
    My recommendation would be to scrap your existing AirPort network and create a new one from scratch, it's not much of a hassle.
    If you have several clients on your network, I'd warmly encourage you to get an AirPort Express. Using a Mac as base-station works well most of the time but it's not 100% seamless.
    And AirTunes is absolutely kewl.

3. mac man 007 thread starter macrumors newbie

mac man 007

Sorry to sound dumb, but how do i create a new network ?

4. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Well, I'm not on Mac right now, so I won't be able to describe the process accurately, sorry.
    It's not complicated anyway, don't worry. If I remember well, after you turn AirPort off from the little icon on the menu bar, that menu should show a "Create New Network" option. But before that, disable your Internet Sharing.
    Once the new network is up, then re-enable the sharing.
    If that doesn't work, then there might be other issues arising from the OS X upgrade process.

5. mac man 007 thread starter macrumors newbie

mac man 007

Thanks for your help but this hasn't fixed my problem, it just randomly flickers from sharing to airport's inactive state i think it is a problem with OSX. I Hope they fix this soon, i really need my sharing :(

6. Bernard SG, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010

Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Does file and/or printer sharing work from the iMac you use as base station?
    Also, did you update from "Software Update" or downloaded the Combo Update from Apple's website?

7. MacHamster68, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

depending how you share
    but i have the same problem my iMac cant communicate with the other mac's in my network , because in osx snow leopard apple talk does not exist any more , the best feature of all scraped in favor for windows users , because windows doesnt support apple talk , now you would need to share using this tcp/ip stuff or how thats called , thats why i run on my intel iMac a second partition with osx tiger because there apple talk still works and at least my core duo imac is still able to boot osx tiger :D, have to reboot for sharing ,but thats ok for me as apple talk is so much more comfortable to use

8. mac man 007 thread starter macrumors newbie

mac man 007

I did the update from software update and the file or printer sharing doesn't work as it wont let it share anything ... This is really annoying :(