Sharing iPhone 4 video to 3G looks horrible!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mgr1047, Jun 24, 2010.

1. mgr1047 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to text my wife video taken on my iPhone 4. When took the video and saved it to my pictures then sent it out, she couldn't even open it. The text she received was a blue square with a play arrow on it and she received an error message when she clicked on it. I also tried to take video directly within the text application. This time she received the video, but it's very very compressed and pixelated. Are iPhone 4 vids not compatible with 3G? Can you only share quality vids with other iPhone 4 users? Major bummer if that is the case. Anyone else having this problem, have a solution or explanation? Thanks.

2. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

That might be the case, as iPhone 4's video is 720p HD.. the iPhone 3G does not support many of the features offered in iOS 4.0, it could very well be too slow to properly play iPhone 4 video files.

Is your wife running iOS 4.0 on her 3G.. or older?

3. mgr1047 thread starter macrumors newbie

She has not updated to iOS 4.0. I can't believe that you can only share vids with other iPhone 4's. Apple touts that you can easily share iPhone 4 videos with anyone. Just doesn't seem right. I even bought iMovie app and tried using that. No luck.

4. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Definitely try updating the iPhone 3G to iOS 4.0 before giving up on this. It might just be a software compatibility or video codec issue. Before iPhone 4 and iOS 4.0, there was no 720p video recording on iPhones, so it would make sense for older versions of iOS/iPhone OS not to support these new files. Update and see if it works :)

5. mgr1047 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can't risk losing MyWi right now so I will hold off. Has anyone else tried texting video to any friends? Results?

6. mgr1047 thread starter macrumors newbie

Am I the only one trying to text video to people that have a 3g iphone? I am surprised that no one else is having this issue. Oh well.

7. danalin26 macrumors newbie

I am also having this issue, although not to a 3G. I send video on a daily basis to my family. Today was the first time I sent video from my iphone4. My family (some on AT&T others verizon, sprint etc) ALL said the video was super small like 1/2in x 1in. I then tried to e-mail it....it looks the same. Then I uploaded to You tube....still crappy. I know I'm not going to get HD when compressed to MMS e-mail and you tube, but I would expect the video to AT LEAST be equal to the 3GS. Right now it's not :(

8. clborden macrumors regular

clborden

I had the same problem, but I sent a video to a Droid on Verizon, but it never went thru. I tapped on the video to watch it again and it was really pixelated. This is before it even left my phone. I'm hoping this isn't something I'm going to have to accept.

9. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I have both sent and received MMS with video.

You can send video to phones not running iOS4, but the phone compresses the hell out of it. For obvious reasons, it's not going to send HD video in an MMS. Keep it as short as possible, and others should receive it.

10. mgr1047 thread starter macrumors newbie

Still having this problem. I don't know why my friends who have a 3GS can send regular video, but my new iPhone sends crap. I understand it can't send HD, but this is really bad video.

11. t0md0 macrumors newbie

How funny this is exactly what happened to me. I was trying to sent my gf a video via MMS from my iPhone 4 to her 3GS and same thing happened. She couldn't even open it. Haven't tried via email yet but that sucks if we can't even send a decent video. Anyone know about this? What crap!