Sharing iPhoto Library...(again)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrpeepers, Feb 3, 2008.

1. mrpeepers macrumors regular

...So with the Leopard. Has anyone found any EASY way to SHARE an iPhoto library between users on the same computer?

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I assume you're talking that both users want read/write permissions? Why not place the iPhoto library in the users/shared folder?

3. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Putting the iPhoto library in the Shared folder will not work in the old iPhoto due to troublesome permissions. I do not know if it will work in the new iLife 08.

There is some workaround somewhere on the net, requiring you to change permissions of the Library folder, and all photos inside it through the terminal, but it didn't work for me.

This is a HUGE problem for both iTunes and iPhoto for family desktop computers and I can't see why Apple could not see the problems with this. With a system based on the *Nix core, it's SUPPOSED to be able to do this. :eek:

edit: Nope, not even iPhoto 08 works with this sharing feature. Really horrendous Apple :mad:

4. twig macrumors member

Ummm, putting the iPhoto library in the shared folder works fine for me (iPhoto '08, 10.5.1) My girlfriend and I have separate user accounts and can both import and edit photos just fine in a shared iPhoto library. When I set up my new iMac, I didn't change any permissions, just imported the old iPhoto library from my old iBook, set the location to the shared folder and it was ready to go. Same thing for iTunes.

5. mrpeepers thread starter macrumors regular

really?

no go for me. tried it. found my iPhoto library that i moved to the shared folder and opened my wifes iPhoto under her account and it shows her library even after double click on the one i moved to the shared folder