Sharing iPhoto library via USB drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Morod, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Hi all,
    I have a Mac with iPhoto 09. My daughter in law has a Mac with iPhoto 08. She also has a dial-up internet connection. We are both running Snow Leopard.
    I want to send her a copy of all my photos (8GB) on a USB drive. How can I copy the photos to it so she can put them on her computer and I can still keep the photos on my computer?
    Just drag & drop the iPhoto icon from the dock to the USB drive? Copy each event separately to the USB?
    Sorry for such a lame question, but I want to do this right. Thanks!
    Morod

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Mount the drive on OS X (plug it in). Then once the USB drive is in open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and remote that drive Mac OS Extended. I say to do this because the FAT32 format will not take a file size over 4GB.

Then just mount the USB drive and open iPhoto. Then find the photo's in iPhoto and highlight the photos to want to send (to go quicker lust highlight the first picture then hold down shift key and click the last picture you want to send, all the picture in between now will be highlighted) and then select the iPhoto menu item & select 'Export'. A pop-down will come down asking where to export the files so select the mounted USB drive.

3. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

Excellent. Thanks!

Exactly the info I was looking for. The DIL will be thrilled to not have to depend on her dial-up. She lives in the sticks.

4. Inked23 macrumors newbie

Backup iPhoto

Does this apply if I want to just COPY iPhoto libray to a USB flash drive for backup purposes? I want my library to stay intact on my iMac tho. I just want to copy it to have a backup to a backup(external hdd). I don't want to burn my library to CDs. My library is 30gb. I am gonna use a 32g USB flash drive. I DO NOT want to move my library, just copy 4 backup. Thanx

5. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

Just wanted to say that I followed these instructions and it worked perfectly! It kept all my originals in iPhoto while sending all copies to the USB drive.
    One note: When copying all the photos in one Event, I simply clicked on one photo, then went up to Edit>Select All, and all the photos in the event were highlighted. Saved a little bit of time.
    Anyway, thanks again for the help!