sharing, its working...but an issue/bug??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pitt1717, Jan 8, 2008.

1. pitt1717 macrumors regular

hey all, got an issue here. so i turn on sharing so i can get to my MBP (leopard) from my windows box. i goto network neighborhood and see it. however, not only do i see my folder i shared (downloads), but i also see my home folder(which i took out of the config under system toos) and my whole hard drive. meaning when i click on my HD, i can get to /, /etc, var and so on.

i dont think this is the way its supposed to work here. doesnt sound too safe as my entire drive is being exposed. anyone else experience this or know how to fix it? i started looking at the smb.conf but theres a pointer to another smb.conf in it. so not sure where to make the change.

im used to linux as i have a server running samba etc. just don't want to screw up my mac. only been a mac user since june

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

In Leopard you can limit the shared folders can't you?

3. pitt1717 thread starter macrumors regular

i do, i delete the standard shared folders, then just add my download folder..but windows sees my home folder <username>, the download folder (which is expected), and my hard drive labled (mbp-hd).

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

This is because when you connect to your Mac, you are logging in as yourself, so you have access to everything. If you connected to your mac as someone else (or as a guest) you would only see the things listed in the Shared Folders list.

5. pitt1717 thread starter macrumors regular

hmmm, really?. i'll have to try that.

but if that is the case that is horrible. nothing should be shared unless explicitly told too. INCLUDING my hard drive. samba is an open source package, it shouldnt work differently on a mac and linux box. ill have to do some digging when i get a chance. am i only looking at the smb.conf or are there com.apple files too? my spotlight never finds them:confused:

this is the first thing i truely hate about my mac. never had 1 gripe before this. :mad:

6. neoserver macrumors 6502

Why is it horrible, if you authenticate as yourself using your password, then it should be fine. If other's are authenticating with your own password then you've got bigger problems.

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

spotlight in Leopard wont find your pref files as it doesn't search your system folders.

8. pitt1717 thread starter macrumors regular

@neo
    well yes and no. no one will have my pass, but remember there are always exploits. just like with microsoft and ipc shares. meaning you can go to \\server\c$ and be in the hard drive. i moved to linux and now mac cause i just got fed up with m$. if i want to share my drive thats one thing, but if i do not explicitly state to, then it shouldn't even be visible. remember, with this age of wireless and moving around, there are always people who can sniff out passwords, encrypted or not.

9. neoserver macrumors 6502

As of XP Service Pack 2, the default administrative shares (c$, d$ etc) are disabled by default. You have to enable them explicitly. And if you're worried about exploits, then you shouldn't have your computer on the net anyway, as there will be exploits where you won't even need to know the password to get it.

What I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't worry too much about having those extra folders shared. A guest cannot access them, unless there is an exploit, but if there is an exploit, you'll have more to worry about then them being able to see your files. Even as a guest, the basic UNIX permissions should keep them from being able to cause havoc.

10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i just came across this thread and id like to ask a question if thats alright? how could i share just my public folder to a windows box without sharing my whole user folder and internal/external disks etc without needing to provide my password?

i have Leopard and ive tried turning on file sharing and i have the default public folder shared with the default permissions but i cant seem to connect to it from the pc using "smb://ipaddress". i then went into options and enabled my user account under SMB and provided my password but this shared my whole user folder. how can i just share the public folder or the drop box if i have to?

i should also say that on the windows box i have shared documents shared which i can connect to fine in Leopard.