Sharing iTunes between Snow Leopard and Windows 7 via Bootcamp

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vgoklani, Nov 21, 2009.

1. vgoklani macrumors regular

vgoklani

Hi,

I have iTunes installed on Snow Leopard, and I installed Windows 7 via bootcamp 3.0. Has anyone figured out a way for the iTunes in Windows7 to share the iTunes library on Snow Leopard. I only want read-only access from the Windows side, I don't to make any changes. Thanks!!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I may be wrong, but I think iTunes needs write access in order to update the xml files with play counts and other info.

3. vgoklani thread starter macrumors regular

vgoklani

I agree, it probably needs write access to update the XML...I was hoping someone was able to figure out a work-around!

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

MacDrive.

It isn't free, but ...

5. vgoklani thread starter macrumors regular

vgoklani

yeah, but macdrive has it's own share of headaches...i was hoping for something more elegant. perhaps there is a way to trick iTunes into reading the music files from snowleopard, and writings the XML settings on the windows drive. I suppose I should just get off my lazy ass and start tinkering with the xml files...

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What about adding the files to the W7 library, but without copying them ... then it would have the library on both ... the problem would be that you would have to update the W7 xml file when you added new items to the OS X library.

7. SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

Doesn't Windows make the XML File under the User Folder in Windows itself?

I don't think you can change this.

The problem is not the read write but updating the XML File for Play Counts etc.

For example all my iTunes stuff is on my Windows Home Server, whenver I access it it can stay on the server, yet iTunes still creats a folder on the local machine with a XML File.

I will try this with boot camp now