Sharing iTunes library across network

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kenny Pollock, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Kenny Pollock macrumors regular

I have a Windows Vista desktop and a MacBook running 10.5.5. I want to share the same iTunes library that my MacBook uses with my desktop. When you add a song to my MacBook, my Windows iTunes will show the song and visa versa.

A) Is this possible?
    B) If so, how?
    C) I've enabled File Sharing on my Mac, added my iTunes folder, set permissions, enabled SMB... and on my Vista desktop it only shows the public folder still?!?

2. Kenny Pollock thread starter macrumors regular

3. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Which is going to be the master machine? As in, which one will actually have the iTunes library and which one will be linking to that?

Or do you mean that you want to have two duplicates of your iTunes library, one on each machine and use them independently, but when a song gets added to one, it gets added to the other at some point? I don't think that's possible...

4. Kenny Pollock thread starter macrumors regular

5. Kenny Pollock thread starter macrumors regular

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Well I set up where I have my iMac with the iTunes Library (the physical library). Then I would set that directory as the default on my other machines. This was the easy part for centralized storage. The more difficult part was keeping the other machines up to date with songs.

For this part we only purchase music or add CD's through the iMac. Then you just replace each computers iTunes Library file (not the music just the database file) with a copy from that of the iMac. As for playlists they can be made on any computer and then exported to the others to keep them all up to date.

The three main problems with this setup are as follows.
    - You have to do the synchronization manually
    - Mac iTunes to Windows iTunes requires waiting for the directory to rebuild
    - Must remember to export playlists as replacing a client's database with the master will lose any of the client computers playlists.

I don't use the music sharing feature since you can not make playlists on the client computer. Because of the hassle the household computers libraries are updated monthly unless an awesome playlist has been created or must have songs added.

[iTunes Dream]
    What I would like is a robust iTunes server program I would be willing to pay say $50 - $100 for this. It would feature...
    - Centralized storage for all music and playlists accessible by client computers
    - Any client computers can add songs and create playlists and be made available to all others
    - Auto/Manual Synchronizing for laptops and iPods
    - Customizable access priviliges for client users: such as media add, media delete, playlist add/delete
    - users can lock their playlists from viewing or editing by others
    - users can lock the media they add from deletion
    - control of multiple airtunes so that you could have 4 or 5 stereos in the house synchronized on music for parties and such, also allow for synchronized playback on other iTunes clients:cool:
    - same synchorization as the previous except for video's with AppleTV's and computers
    - for controlled house wide media playback as stated above but allow control via wifi with iPod Touch, iPhone and even create say an Apple home media remote designed only for controlling media playback and synchronization through home devices.[/iTunes Dream]