Sharing iTunes Library and syncing iOS devices

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SnapperUK, Apr 2, 2012.

1. SnapperUK macrumors member

I would like to share an iTunes library between my Mac Pro, which is in my studio and my MBP which is at home.
    Can I use one 1TB Hard Drive and move it between the machines, providing I keep all the iTunes library files on it as well as the media?
    If so does that mean that I can sync my iPhones & iPad to either machine providing it is connected to the library at the time?
    For historical reasons my iOS devices sync with my Studio Mac Pro. I don't like ripping DVDs on my MBP (in fact I can't because I have put in an optibay for an extra HDD) but use it to stream to my :apple:tv when home. At the moment I have to faff around with removable media to take it between locations.
    Any thoughts?

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

You can set each machine to see the same drive etc. However, you main issue will be that the iTunes library data and playlist data file in is your user music folder on each machine, not on the data external directory. You would need to quit iTunes and copy those files across to the external and then on to the Mac Pro or MBP Home folder each time you wanted to move from one machine to the other. I am assuming that would work as long as each machine had the same version of OS X and iTunes running on it. If you simply moved the drive and had each point to the drive when connected, each time you added music from to the library, it would only add in that machine and you would have to re-add it to the other when connected, making sure not to copy the files again, just to add them to the library. Likewise, playlists and devices on each library would be completely separate.

3. iGobbleoff macrumors member

Wrong!

You just move the whole iTunes library to the external drive, and make sure each machine points to that external drive whenever you start iTunes.

I have done this time and time again, the music/playlists/media/movies/shows etc are all in the library on the external drive, not on each particular machine