sharing itunes library - how to keep user playlists?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mstvwriter, Oct 11, 2007.

1. mstvwriter macrumors newbie

My husband and I have 2 powerbooks. His is experiencing crashes on his and it is frustrating. As an interim solution (and as a backup), I am going to migrate his user files from his pb to mine as a separate user.

My question: each of us has the identical (or as close to identical) iTunes library on each of our computers. I do not plan on migrating his library to my powerbook when I can place my iTunes library into the shared folder (and the fact that there is no room for another 20 gig of music).

He has different ratings, different play lists, etc that he syncs with his iPod. What files do I need to copy from his iTunes folder so that he has access to his ratings and play lists?

Any help is always appreciated!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The library data file and XML file are what keeps this info. Unfortunately, they're really only compatible if your library is identical to his. Otherwise strange things will start happening. :eek:

3. mstvwriter thread starter macrumors newbie

So I could copy those files from his pb and put them in his new user itunes folder in my powerbook?

What I'm planning to do is the following (this was from a MacWorld article):

1) logged into my account, move my music folder to shared users
    2) in iTunes preferences, change the location of the iTunes music folder
    3) enable copy files to Itunes Music folder
    4) move the itunes Music library file from my folder to shared. Make an alias of the file and move the alias back to my folder.
    5) log in as another user
    6) launch iTunes and change library location in prefernces to shared folder
    7) quit iTunes
    8) make alias of the music library file in the shared folder and place this alias into the new user's library file

Since I'll be making aliases of the library file, all I need to move into the new user folder is his XML file, is that correct? Does the XML file have all the playlists?

Thanks for such a quick response!

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nup, that won't work. :eek:

It's really the library file you need and you'll probably run into all sorts of trouble unless your libraries are literally identical. I don't know about ratings, but it might be easier to use your own library file, export his playlists as song lists from his library and then reimport them into his version of your own library file.

By the way, if you hold OPTION when you open iTunes it lets you select a library. This can often be a much cleaner and simpler way of moving libraries or accessing shared libraries. :)