Sharing iTunes library (not with home sharing)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by streamkid, Mar 2, 2013.

1. streamkid macrumors newbie

Hello.
    I want my mac and a pc to share the same itunes library, actively (updating, adding, deleting, etc).
    Home sharing doesn't do the job because it must be asynchronous (either one can be offline at times).

What do you propose?
    Thanks in advance.

2. AppleDeviceUser macrumors 6502

AppleDeviceUser

Sign in to your apple ID on both computers, then go to iTunes, File > Preferences > Store, turn on automatic downloads for Books Apps and Music. Congrats, now whenever you buy something on any of your devices it will automatically be added to both your iTunes libraries. Just remember and iDevice can only sync with one computer at a time.

3. streamkid thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the reply. I didn't clarify I'm talking about an existing library of almost 250gb of data, a big part of it being local music that doesn't exist in store/match (which I don't use eitherway).
    So it has to be done locally.

Thanks

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

You can use the same library with more than one computer, but keeping the database in a shared location. Several people here do it.

However, the database is not designed to be shared. I strongly suggest that you do not do it... and don't complain if you corrupt your database.

/Jim