Sharing iTunes Music not purchased?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rhett7660, Sep 16, 2009.

1. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Is this possible via the automatic update? I have been looking around and I am beginning to think it is not possible. IE I upload a new ripped cd to my server and then since the home sharing is turned on the newly ripped files I was hoping would then be shared across to the other iTunes setups. But since it says newly purchased.......

I am thinking I might have to make a new script via automator to get this done......

2. beaner454 macrumors regular

This is what I was hoping for, but sadly it only works for purchased content right now.

Hopefully some ingenious programmers can alter a little code here and there to achieve what we're looking for. Or maybe Doug's AppleScripts will figure something out?

3. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

That is what I was afraid of. Rats........ There was a nice apple script for iTunes server that I was using (found in a thread on this forum). But SL broke it (new automator). So I am in the process of creating a new one.

4. oculus42 macrumors 6502

With the new iTunes 9 you can drag-and-drop content within iTunes. No hassle. You can probably automate this with a smart playlist "Added in the last week" and Automator.

Be warned that Home Sharing will create duplicates.

5. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

So far, I'm not a fan. It doesn't offer anything more than a Flash Drive offered me a week ago. I always just rip once, put the CD back in its case for safe storage, and then put the MP3s I want on that. From there, I just put them in my other libraries, and repeat.

As long as they aren't distributed or sold, my personal use is totally fine - and iTunes Home Sharing with its buggy not-copying-all-the-info-over status as-is, is no better than doing it the way I have for years. Thanks Apple.

6. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I have 4 Macs and I use a 12 PB as a main iTune's library for my iPods. I see 12PB's iTune's library/podcasts in my MBP's iTunes shared library. Can those lists on the shared library copied to my MBP's music folder?