Sharing iTunes Music!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TSE, Jun 22, 2008.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Hi, my brother downstairs has an iMac G5 running on Airport wireless internet. It has a 500 GB Hard Drive so that is basically where all everybody's music is. I want to share the same exact library as the iMac G5 with my MacBook Pro running of Airport wireless internet.

Is this possible?

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Kind of confusing so I'll take the easy answer and assume that you just want to listen to the music.

If that is the case all your brother has to do is turn on sharing and then his iTunes library will automatically show when you open iTunes and you can play directly from your iTunes.

3. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

thanks for the help, and that is part of the question. The other part is, can I then import the shared music to my iPod?

4. bartelby macrumors Core

But you'll only be able to share the music if the brother also has iTunes open IIRC,

5. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Is there anyway to just import his whole library to mine and keep his still?

We have bought all the music, nothing is illegally downloaded. Most of it is from CDs, but some of it is from iTunes music store.

6. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

You can import the music to your Mac and as long as you both share the same iTunes account there won't be a problem with that music but you'd have to manually update any new music. I did this with a mini and a MacBook, the biggest thing was transferring and then when I bought new music I'd manually add it to the other Mac.

You could also check out a program like SuperSync (haven't used myself but looks helpful).