Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macs4u

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Hi,

Just bought a mac mini and want to share my iTunes library on all 3 users. I know the normal way of placing the iTunes folder in shared and pointing the iTunes on all users to that but its not working.

Any ideas? Im running Lion

Matt

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
If you go into the preferences of iTunes, you can turn sharing on. Your library should now appear on mac's connected to the same network.

You can password protect your iTunes library if you want to.

fishcake

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2009
A couple of alternatives...

I used to use a NAS to hold the music and build the libraries on each machine individually. One machine was the master and I'd add to iTunes on that one so it would copy the files to the NAS media folder. The other machines I set iTunes to update the library but not add the files to the media library. It's a bit clunky since you have to update music on all 3 machines individually, but it means you don't have to put the same music on every machine which can be handy. A big drawback is that everything is tied to the NAS so it's not portable of course.

The alternative is to use iTunes Match, I switched over at new year and it's a lot easier than the above, and it's portable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.