Sharing iTunes on Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Macs4u, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Macs4u macrumors regular

Hi,

Just bought a mac mini and want to share my iTunes library on all 3 users. I know the normal way of placing the iTunes folder in shared and pointing the iTunes on all users to that but its not working.

Any ideas? Im running Lion

Matt

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

If you go into the preferences of iTunes, you can turn sharing on. Your library should now appear on mac's connected to the same network.

You can password protect your iTunes library if you want to.

3. Macs4u thread starter macrumors regular

4. Macs4u thread starter macrumors regular

5. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Are you sure that everybody is on the same network (wired or wirelessly). Because it they aren't this sharing doesn't work

6. fishcake macrumors newbie

A couple of alternatives...

I used to use a NAS to hold the music and build the libraries on each machine individually. One machine was the master and I'd add to iTunes on that one so it would copy the files to the NAS media folder. The other machines I set iTunes to update the library but not add the files to the media library. It's a bit clunky since you have to update music on all 3 machines individually, but it means you don't have to put the same music on every machine which can be handy. A big drawback is that everything is tied to the NAS so it's not portable of course.

The alternative is to use iTunes Match, I switched over at new year and it's a lot easier than the above, and it's portable.