Sharing iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ee99ee, Sep 3, 2007.

1. ee99ee macrumors 6502

ee99ee

I have a server where I keep all of my music. I share this server with my two roomates. I have a Macbook that I run iTunes on, and I have a PowerMac G5.

I want to share iTunes with all four systems -- my two computers, and each of my roomates' computers. My two systems are Mac, theirs are Windows 2000/XP. Additionally, later there will be a fifth system added as a "media" system connected to our TV. This will probably run Vista or XP.

Generally speaking, at least three systems will be in use at the same time.

How can I setup iTunes' database so that it can be shared between all four systems? I want to be able to add a song on any computer and see it show up on all the others. Since they all share the same storage system, I wouldn't imagine this to be too big of a problem -- would it?

I also want to do the same with Podcasts. Of course, since I'm really the only one who uses them I'd set the others to not update automatically so we don't get multiple copies of the same episodes downloading at the same time.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Ok, when you launch itunes hold down the option key (it might be the shift key in Windows) and this will allow you to choose the library file, choose the library file stored on your server and you'll be all set.

Also, set you iTunes music directory in iTunes preferences to the server so that any files you add will be stored on the server.

3. ee99ee thread starter macrumors 6502

ee99ee

Also -- is there anything I can do to help speed up iTunes? I have the iTunes index on my local box now, but searching is *VERY* slow once you hit about 8000 songs. I'm approaching 12,000 songs now and once we add all three of our music collections we'll probably have upwards of 15,000 songs.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I have 7000 songs and search is very fast. May have something to do with your hard drive speed.

5. ee99ee thread starter macrumors 6502

ee99ee

If I have two instances of iTunes open, can they both use the same library xml file? Also, if iTunes A adds a song, will it show up in iTunes B without re-opening?

6. ee99ee thread starter macrumors 6502

ee99ee

I'm going to create a new library file when I set all of this up. I'm sure it'll speed up then. I've had the same library for a long, long time.

Also, I'm on a 10/100 network running on a HUB. I've got a couple gigabit switches on the way, so that'll help too.

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You should both be able to read/write to the file.

Not sure if you would have to relaunch to find songs added by the other user, never tried it

8. Scythe macrumors newbie

Anyone got a confirmed method for this? I need cross platform sharing (so changes reflects on all computers) for my network. So if I add a song on the mac, it is reflected alongside the 2 windows pcs. Can it be done?

9. ee99ee thread starter macrumors 6502

ee99ee

I looked very deeply into this -- it can't be done. iTunes locks the file and it can realy screw up the library. Furthermore, if yuo try to do it cross-platform, because the file paths are different (C:\foobar vs file:/path/to/foobar) it won't work.

Sorry!

-Chris

10. ross.32 macrumors 6502

But can it work between Macs without Windows?