Sharing LTE between two watches

JCT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Tucson, AZ
So I usually have 2 Apple watches , a SS S3 for work with a nice leather band and an S2 Aluminum with a sport loop for running and use on the weekends. In the past only the SS has had LTE, but I just upgraded my Alu S2 to an S4. I went ahead and bought the LTE version for flexibility.

Can anyone point me to a straightforward way to switch my cellular account between the two ? Wouldn't do that every day, but would certainly switch on weekends.

Any help would be appreciated.

JT

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Knowing the pain and agrivation of switching once when I got my replacement watch I would say this is not going to work out for you.

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
So I usually have 2 Apple watches , a SS S3 for work with a nice leather band and an S2 Aluminum with a sport loop for running and use on the weekends. In the past only the SS has had LTE, but I just upgraded my Alu S2 to an S4. I went ahead and bought the LTE version for flexibility.

Can anyone point me to a straightforward way to switch my cellular account between the two ? Wouldn't do that every day, but would certainly switch on weekends.

Any help would be appreciated.

JT
In the US cell providers will charge an activation fee. I don’t see how it’d be remotely feasible to switch on a regular basis.

jbizzybeetle

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2015
double check with your carrier.

I think the following was what worked for me a couple weeks ago on AT&T and watches can be switched at will —

Paraphrasing from memory, In the watch App, 1) unpair #1 but keep your plan; 2) choose replace to pair #2; and 3) anything needed to setup as u like.

The actual steps as AT&T/Watch App worded them were a bit confusing the first time thru but quick the second time.

As of now I have no additional fees charged.

perezr10

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Yes, I’m also on AT&T and moving your LTE plan between watches is fairly easy. As someone noted up above you simply keep your plan when you unpair.

This is great when migrating to a new watch but not a workable solution if you want to use one watch for work and another for the evenings.

Reactions: jbizzybeetle

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
You may want to search the forums. There are some threads that talk about carriers having difficulty when the watch isn’t new and the CSR don’t know how to fix it.

JCT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Tucson, AZ
Ah - this explains why I couldn't find a straightforward answer (it isn't straightforward ;)).

Guess I'll just decide whether it's worthwhile to have 2 lines or not.

Thanks!

JT

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.