sharing mac printer/internet with a PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Renfred93, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Renfred93 macrumors member

ok ok, so I have my cool new mac here and it's got a great printer connected to it via usb. My mac is accessing internet via an ethernet cable, awesome! I have internet AND can print on my mac. now we got the old family PC in another room and it really wants to print and have internet access. So I try to get my mac to help it out by using the built in airport to give it some wireless, and access to the printer via wireless. well I do that and the PC can connect to the shared network, but uh oh! we might have a few pesky snoopers around so I want to put the WEP on just to be on the safer side. Ouch, turns out PC and mac WEP aren't so compatible so what is my PC gonna do now. Well what it's gonna do is connect to local wi fi for internet, but now it can't print! I wonder if theres a way to SECURELY connect to my macs airpot from my PC or maybe theres a way to print wirelessly from my PC thats on a different network...hm?

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

If your pc is connecting through your wi-fi on the same network as your mac, then you can print through the mac.

In System Preferences>>Sharing, turn on Printer Sharing.

Now make sure that you set the permissions if need be for the pc to be able to print as well.

On the PC, download the Bonjour Printer Service from apple.

Install it, and launch it, then you can tell the PC to use the printer attached to the mac.

3. Renfred93 thread starter macrumors member

ok thanks! I didn't know about that, but is theree anyway to print if they're not on the same network?

4. JDL51 macrumors newbie

sharing mac printer/internet with a PC?

I also can't get my PC to print via AirPort/Time Capsule. I've loaded/unloaded/reloaded the disk in my PC, and it appears to be installed correctly. However, I can't locate the Bonjour Print Wizard which seems to be the missing link in getting the printer to work via my PC. I have the PC hooked in to AirPort through an Ethernet cable and the communication seems to be fine. Also, I have no problems printing from my iMac which is also hooked up to the AirPort/Time Capsule "box". Any suggestions on this "Bonjour" issue? Thx!

5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Let me get some clarificaton? Did you install the Bonjour printer wizard on your pc yet? If not, then just download it from apple (search for bonjour) and then install it. Once installed you should be able to launch the bonjour printer wizard.