Sharing Mail app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Halcyon, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Halcyon macrumors 6502

Is it possible to share Mail app between two Mac in a network? better explain myself a little better :)

I download all my mail using one of my iMac's. All these mails and accounts, preferences, etc. are stored in a Mail folder within the LIbrary folder. Fine up to here. But, sometimes this machine is in use by somebody else and even though I can download and check my messages using my other iMac, these mails will obviously not be saved with the messages in machine number one. So what I really need is to figure a way in which when I download my mail using machine number one things stay the way they are now, but when I use machine number two to download my mails I need for them to be transfered and stored in machine number one.

I'm pretty sure I can figure how to do this manually, but was wondering how this could be accomplished automatically.

Hope I've explained myself clear...if not feel like bashing me some, but help me afterwards :)

TIA

Edit: I'm not sure how to accomplish this even manually...and, the end result of what I need is to have all my mails in one machine and not scattered amongst the two.

2. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

If I understood you correctly, what you are trying to do can be done using IMAP, this is available for instance in .mac and now in gmail. It will depend whether your service provider offers you this service.

With IMAP I can access my .mac mail from either any of my 2 macs (ibook or macbook) :apple:

3. Halcyon thread starter macrumors 6502

My ISP does provide IMAP capability, thus I was looking into it. As far as I understand, all messages are kept in the server and are not downloaded to one's machine. This brings up two questions:

1.- Can the messages be downloaded to one's computer at a certain time?
    2.- Obviously the server storage capacity for mails is not unlimited, so what is the mechanics for deleting/downloading mails to free space in the server?

On second thought, I can leave machine number one the way it is right now and retrieve/download my mails using the POP protocol. Machine number two could be set to read mails using the IMAP protocol. This way I can use either machine to check my e-mails, but when I use machine number two they will stay in the server as nothing is downloaded and when I use machine number two, that's when my mails will download to the HD...thus all my mails will be stored in one place and server space will be freed at the same time.

Does this sound reasonable? Anybody out there has tried this before?