Sharing Movies folder across users

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by skeen, Jul 29, 2007.

1. skeen macrumors 6502

I'm adding a new user to my machine, and would like for both us to share my Movies folder.

It has to be their real Movies folder, though, for Frontrow.

2. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

OK, the following will work but I'd give up the idea of having a Movies folder in a normal user account being shared. However, I can't see this giving issues and it does work in FrontRow.

1. Open Finder and navigate to the /Users/Shared folder
    2. Create a new folder (for example, "My Shared Movies") and then create an Alias to this folder
    3. Copy the Alias to the Movies folder of each user account you wish to have shared access to the movies (you can rename the Alias as well)
    4. Copy the movies that you want to share into the folder you created under the Shared user account

Each user will now have access to the movies in FrontRow by selecting Videos > Movies > "Name of Alias". Pretty simple and it does work.

3. skeen thread starter macrumors 6502

Great, thanks. What I did was open up my Movies folder for read permissions, and created a symbolic link to it from the users account, in their Movies folder. :)

4. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

I can't say that I'd advocate mucking around with the permissions of key folders in your home directory (or elsewhere for that matter) but if it works for you then that's OK. Regardless, the basic principle of this solution works and that's the main thing.