Sharing movies on xserve between Macs and TV

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Funbruk, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Funbruk macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'd like to know what the best way would be to share movies on my xserve with other Macs and my TV.
    I want every device to show changes that are made on the server. (So not that I have to add the movies on every Mac to have them show up).

If possible, I'd love this to work through iTunes (it should at least work easily; my mother has to understand you know)

Thank you in advance,
    Alexander

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

You can use iTunes on your Xserve to "host" the iTunes library.
    Then, share that entire library.

I have done the same! :cool:

I have an Xserve G4 onto which Mac OS X Server Leopard is installed. I let the administrator login automatically, and have iTunes start at login.

This Xserve uses a mirror of 2 x 400 GB HD as storage, and on that volume I have placed the location of the iTunes Music.

What does it share?
    - Music (a lot)
    - Music Videos (quite a lot)
    - Movies (some, all converted to TV)
    - TV Shows (all Top Gears, South Park, etc. all converted to TV)

My TV doesn't synchronise the media, it simply plays shared movies etc.
    I have a Mac mini as my Media Centre, and this is also connected to the Xserve's shared iTunes Library.

I convert all movies etc. on my Mac Pro, and then copy them to the Xserve's iTunes Library. After doing some finishing touches (adding names, tags, sorts) my entire music and movies library is accessible to all the computers and TV on my network. :)

3. Funbruk thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, yes I tried that out for a bit...
    But the problem is, I can't sync them to any other device (unless I go to my server, which is too far away for that).

Would there be a way around that?

What application do you use to convert? (I've got about a hundred waiting to be converted...)