Sharing MS Office files between OSX and Windows: still problems?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sanjo, Dec 2, 2016.

1. sanjo macrumors newbie

my work desktop is Windows
    been thinking of a notebook that is mac.

I know in the past, people complained that there were formatting issues when importing excel or word files from windows to osx and vice versa

is it still an issue in 2016' latest versions?

2. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

I use office 2011 in my macs and office 2010/2003 in windows.

No issues yet.

I do not have 2016 to test sorry.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

I haven't read anywhere that the newest Mac version of Excel has equal features to the Windows version.

I would assume there are still issues.

4. macbookpro-file macrumors newbie

macbookpro-file

This reminds me of a similar issue I had back in circa 2009-2010 with downloads. Would download large amounts of data on macbook, transfer to windows PC and would have all sorts of issues.

I only started using office on mac as of late 2013, but I don't have the 2016 edition of office. I regularly do bookkeeping tasks with excel between platforms, and a large amount of word documents have been passed between the macbook and win7 + win10 computers with no formatting issues. I say go for it, working great here.

5. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

If you're doing 99% of "normal" things, I haven't had an issue for years. If you're doing complex things (like live feed pivot tables interlinked across multiple document formats etc), I've had the occasional collapse.

6. finsfanscott macrumors newbie

In Excel, "Slicer" tabs/selections don't always work when I take a Windows Excel file and open/run on the Mac. Sometimes the numbers update, but the graphs do not. This happens with an Office 2011 and 2013 file on a Mac running Sierra and MacOS Office 2016. Have had no problems at all with Word documents between the two environments. Rarely have a problem with Powerpoint fonts not mapping quite correctly, but significantly better than in the past. Hope this helps!