sharing music and photos

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by goosemoose, Jan 25, 2009.

1. goosemoose macrumors newbie

Ok. So I've got all my iTunes music and iPhotos on my big Mac :apple: (G5 power mac) and is there any way i can play those tunes + view those photos on my laptop from another room in the house? :confused:
    I'm running an Airport extreme from my G5, and hook the laptop into the wireless home network on that.. but haven't had any joy trying to share files etc :eek:

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'm assuming your laptop is a Mac running Leopard here, so if not let me know what you're using and I can tailor the instructions accordingly.

To share music in iTunes, go into the iTunes preferences -> Sharing -> Share my library on my local network. Enter a password if you want to, then click OK. Assuming your laptop is set up to look for shared libraries (the option is available in the same spot), your Mac Pro will show up in the iTunes sidebar and you can browse its library as you would your own.

I don't use iPhoto, so I'm not sure offhand if it can directly share its library, but you can certainly set up file sharing. On the Mac Pro, just go into the Sharing preference pane and check the File Sharing service. The Mac Pro will show up in the Finder sidebar.

3. goosemoose thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!

BlueRevolution! You rule - it works! :D
    so easy when you know how!
    Thanks man!! ;)