Sharing music between two different accounts on one computer

Discussion in 'iPod' started by pelorick, Nov 26, 2007.

1. pelorick macrumors newbie

I am having an issue trying to share music between two different accounts on one computer. We have a new MacBook Pro which is running leopard. The goal is to have only one music library which both my wife’s and my user account can access. I have followed the instructions in the following article, but have been unsuccessful trying to access the music under the other account.

http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n93195

Basically, I have moved the iTunes music folder from my music directory to my public folder and have changed the music location path within iTunes; it works fine. I have also changed the music location in her iTunes to the same public folder in my directory. However, nothing is in her library. I have tried countless times, but no music shows in the library even though the path is correctly pointed to my public folder. I have even tried the “consolidate“ feature while logged into her user account, but that didn’t work. Tech support has been pretty unhelpful with this, so I am hoping that someone might know why this isn’t working. This article addresses exactly what we are trying to do, but it just isn’t working.

Thank you for your help.

2. pianos101 macrumors regular

I just did this but I didn't do it the same way that Apple says to do it... I kept the music in the "host" user's Music folder, but gave Read/Write access to the Music folder to the users who i wanted to be able to listen to that music from. Then in the "listener's" account, open iTunes by holding Option, then clicking iTunes. You'll see the Library selection window. I clicked "choose library file" (to that effect, not in front of my Mac) and browsed to the itunes library file in the host user's account. It works fine, and since the host's music folder has read/write access enabled it's just like listening from that account. Any changes to song info, ratings, play count, etc. will be reflected in the host's iTunes (not sure if that's what you want, though).

Anyway, did you actually File>Add all of the music files from your public folder? It looks like that might be the problem, if I'm reading correctly...

3. pelorick thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello pianos101,

Thank you for the response. No, I didn't actually "Add or import" the music from the public folder into her library because I thought it might duplicate the music on the hard drive. We have 40 GB of music, so that would take up major space (40x2) if it did duplicate. Plus, I thought it would just add the music since it is pointed to the folder within the Public folder. The Apple article doesn't say anything about adding/importing music... I can definitely try it though.

Also, if I can't get that to work, I can try the way that worked for you. Basically, I want us both to be able to freely do anything within the one library. If I do it your way, do I just need to move the folder back to my directory and then give her account Read/Write access under the "get info" area of the iTunes music folder?

Thank you again!

4. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

You can always put the itunes folder on an external drive and drop alias's into the respective users folders.

This works good for me.

5. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

This works for me, as well. I've not been able to get the other methods to work.

6. pelorick thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I was hoping that we could avoid this method, as we would have to have the external hard drive hooked up to the laptop in order to listen to the music. Plus, I am using the external to backup files, etc, and I keep it in a separate location. We ended up getting the 250 GB HD (5400RPM) so that we could keep the music directly on the computer.

Anymore ideas? Thanks again!

7. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

You don't really need an external drive if you have space on the internal! Just move out your iTunes folder to a spot on your internal HD (I think I'm using the 'Shared' folder in ~/User/ ... it's been a while since I've even thought about it) and as freeny said make aliases in the respective users folders.

8. stuartm macrumors member

I had the same problem and the below fixed it.

If its your library with the stuff in it you need to MOVe (not copy) your iTunes Library, just the library nought else.
    Move it to the Shared folder. If you arent sure which is your shared folder then experiment with another file and make sure your wife can see it in the "shared folder".
    Then all you do is; when YOU add music, your wife can add to hers by "adding to her library" and pointing to the shared library.
    Hope that helps, it worked for me but your right it would easier to enable both accounts to add/share/view same library but I think it works lie and owner - user kind of structure.
    Cheers

9. pianos101 macrumors regular

I think in the Apple instructions it said to "Add to Library," but ONLY after you uncheck the "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library file" option in Preferences>Advanced. This will ensure that the music is NOT copied to her account and that her "library" uses the physical files that are located in your shared folder. As long as you can see your files from her account (using Finder) this method should work fine...

10. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

True, you could just drop the itunes folder in the hard drive along with your applications, library etc. then apply alias's as said before...

11. pelorick thread starter macrumors newbie

Tech had me try some other stuff earlier tonight. They had me move the music folder to the Share folder. Then, I had to create a new library under my account and add files to the library from my iTunes music folder (in Share folder). Then, I had to log into my wife's account, hold Option while clicking iTunes, then select Choose new library. I was able to point it to the shared folder, add the music to the library, etc. However, when I add new songs to her or my account, the songs don't appear in each other's library, even though we are technically working from one. Basically, once I add the files to her iTunes, the library doesn't update on her end w/ any songs or playlists that I add on my account.

The other problem I am having is trying to add privileges to users. Basically, I go to the file and click "Get Info". There are only 3 diff user options that appear (my name, "Unknown" and "Everyone." For some reason, I cannot get the "Unknown" account to change from Read Only to Read/Write. I am wondering if "Unknow" is my wife's account. I am not sure why it is displaying as "Unknown" and not by her username account.

Also, as of now, we have different iTunes folders (the folder w/ the xml file, etc.), but do have the same itunes music folder.

This process has been very frustrating... I appreciate all of the help and suggestions.

Thank you

12. stuartm macrumors member

Just had another thought. Could you just set up a generic accountl/ogin so you can both login without using the others details. Then set it up in the usual way

13. pelorick thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Stuartm,

That's not a bad idea, but I think I may have solved the issue for now. Basically, I think I had it right the first time. As mentioned, I moved the iTunes music folder to the public folder. I pointed my and my wife’s iTunes to this folder. Things were working fine w/ my iTunes, but there was no music in her library. Finally, I “added music to library” from that folder (in the public folder). Now, she has all the music and is able to create play lists, etc. However, I don’t think that there is a way to make any changes to one account automatically carry over to the other. Basically, if I import a CD into the library, it will populate into my library and create the files on the HD. However, when I log into my wife’s account, the songs are there. However, if I browse out to the public music folder, I can search by “date modified” to find the most recent additions to that folder. Then, I just select those files and click “open.” This will bring those songs into her library. There is a note on the article that I initially referenced in my first posting that states that if one account imports a CD and another account imports the same one, that there will be duplicates. I think that they are referring to the hard drive and NOT iTunes. It just isn’t clear per the article, so it took me a while to figure that out. Additionally, they don’t tell you to “add music to iTunes library” once you point the second account to the public music folder. As I mentioned, I don’t think that it is possible for one account to add, then have the second account automatically be able to see the imported music without adding it first – please let me know if I am wrong. I think this also makes sense because each account will have its own play lists, song ratings (if used), etc.

Thanks