Sharing my Internet connexion with my iPod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ikar, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Ikar macrumors newbie

2. mzd macrumors 6502a

looks like it should work based on the link, but i've never used it personally.
    so your laptop does not already have a wifi card (either PCMCA or built in)? if it does you wouldn't need to buy anything new, you could just enable internet sharing and bridge your USB network connection to the wireless card.

3. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Is your PC a desktop or a laptop?

If it is a laptop, €26 isn't that much to spend and even if Internet sharing to the touch doesn't work (I agree with mzd that in theory it should), having Wifi on your laptop has other uses as well. You can use public Wifi hotspots in order to save on data charges on your wireless account (of course the touch can already do this, too) when in range of one of these hotspots.

If you are instead talking about a desktop hooked up to a broadband modem, do you have some kind of router between the PC and the modem (sounds like no if you are connecting via USB)? If your USB modem also has the ability to connect to your computer over Ethernet and if your PC has an Ethernet port, then you can look into getting a Wifi router instead (you should be able to find one near the €30 point) and connect the modem into the router via Ethernet and then the router into the PC via Ethernet as well. Then the touch connects to the router via Wifi and shares the Internet even when the PC is off.

4. Ikar thread starter macrumors newbie

My pc is a desktop, and it doesn't have a wifi card. The router solution seems to ne a good one, but it's starting to get expensive... And about the connexion disappearing when the pc is off, it's not really a bad thing... It will keep me from spending the night on the web since the pc is always off at nightsXD.

5. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Do you know if your PC has an Ethernet port on it (and if your broadband modem has one)? If so, the router solution would be roughly the same price as the USB Wifi card one*, and would also have the benefit of putting a firewall between your PC and the Internet. That is one more layer of protection from hackers and viruses that connect to machines on the Internet at random looking for someone to infect. And you never know when you want to just look something up quick on the touch and realize your PC is off. By the time you walk over to it to turn it on, you might as well just use the PC to look whatever it was up!

* The router is the same price as the USB Wifi card statement assumes you don't need the latest and greatest model from name brand companies like Apple, Linksys, D-Link, or Netgear. If you only need the Wifi for a touch, that should be the case.