Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d'evils

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2007
England
I know how to in Windows but can't find an option in OS X. The PC currently has full access to my user folder.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Mine too, but I have to authenticate first. Did you enter your username and password?

My PCs forget after they're restarted.

d'evils

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2007
England
Mine too, but I have to authenticate first. Did you enter your username and password?

My PCs forget after they're restarted.

Yeh, I did all that. The Mac and PC are networked via Firewire so I'm not really worried about the security of my files etc. It was just bugging me that I couldn't find an option to create just one "sharing folder", like in Windows. Surely there is a way?

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I have various complaints with OSX sharing, including the lack of chroot jails (requiring various hacks that may or not work) but I think there is already a folder such as you require.

Go to the top level of your HD, then Users/user name/ and there should be a Public folder that others can open, without being able to open any other folders.

d'evils

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2007
England
I have various complaints with OSX sharing, including the lack of chroot jails (requiring various hacks that may or not work) but I think there is already a folder such as you require.

Go to the top level of your HD, then Users/user name/ and there should be a Public folder that others can open, without being able to open any other folders.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.