Sharing Numbers spreadsheets with others for collaboration?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by stanw, May 4, 2014.

1. stanw macrumors 6502a

I created a Numbers spreadsheet and saved it to iCloud with a password. I want to share it with 2 other people and allow them to make simple changes to the spreadsheet.

1. Do they need to log in to iCloud to make changes to the spreadsheet that I shared?
    2. How do they save their changes after making them? I just checked the link created when sharing the spreadsheet and I didn't see a save button in the browser.
    3. Which browsers will others be able to view/edit the spreadsheet in? Will it also work on PC?

Thanks!

2. bripab007 macrumors 6502

1. To make changes to that specific document, in real-time collaborative mode, without creating an alternate copy of it--yes, they need to log into the iCloud web interface to edit the document. There are other ways you all could collaborate on the document, like downloading a copy to an iOS device and somehow merging changes later, but it require you to discuss and agree upon a process so as to not step over each other's toes.
    2. Save buttons are probably going the way of the Dodo bird in a few years. You'll see more and more often programs that auto-save or do document versioning instead of having the antiquated floppy disk save button. The beauty of a client-server app such as iCloud web interface is that changes can be done realtime, so there's really no need to force the user to also remember to click a save button.
    3. When you log into iCloud.com, check the help documentation for the Numbers webapp and you'll find what browsers and systems are supported. I seem to recall it's any modern build of Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and of course Safari.

3. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess my only concern with the auto save is if someone just tries making some changes to try something different and it becomes auto-saved, thus overwriting what we had previously. If you have the option to save you could just close the file without saving, with auto-save, I guess you just need to be careful?

I tried accessing a Pages sheet through iCloud on an Android in various browsers with no luck. I guess that is just Apple's hate for Google and it should work on a Windows PC?

Thanks.

4. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a