Sharing on Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ryans79, Sep 17, 2009.

1. ryans79 macrumors regular

Hey there,

Heres what i want to do:
    Share the contents of my DVD drive via SMB so i can watch flicks via my xbox.

What i have done:
    I put my mac on the WORKGROUP network and when i put a DVD into the drive i right click on it and ->get into->share
    and it appears on my SMB share... no probem so far.

The problem:
    Everytime i put a new dvd in, i have to go through the whole above process again as it very specifically only applies the share to that DVD, how can i do it so that the whole DVD drive is shared no matter which dvd is in?

In sharing i have Share CD/DVD set to on, i had to turn off my firewall though otherwise it was saying "DVD or CD sharing: blocked by firewall"
    I also have file sharing set to on as... thats what google 'told me to do', so i thinks its actually file sharing and not DVD sharing...

Thanks!

2. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

I see the same thing running 10.6.1. Thing is, DVD sharing still works oddly, even though it says the Firewall is blocking. Just to clarify, the Firewall does say it is allowing all connections, it's Sharing that says it's blocked. Luckily this is just a visual bug.

3. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey!
    Thanks for replying!

Problem is that it does not show the dvd as a smb share unless i explicitly right click and share it when a dvd is in....
    any idea how to get past this (so that it always shows the drive as a share)?
    on my windows machine i have no problem with this, the DVD drive from my pc is always being shown... not so with my mbp.