Sharing PC connection

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boss.king, May 13, 2010.

1. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Is there a way to share my laptops internet connection with my iPhone via an adhoc network? I live in New Zealand where the mobile data is restrictively expensive. I've been looking online for the past 2 weeks for a way to do this and no luck as of yet. I have windows vista and a 3GS if that helps.

Will I need to get a wifi wouter to do this? (If so can someone recommend a very cheap one? does not need good range, 4m is more than enough)

If I won't need a router, can someone explain how to do this (or just provide a link that can explain it)? I've connected my phone wia adhoc to use the Logitech mouse app, but have never been able to get the internet connection to share.

I would greatly appreciate all your help.

Edit: Rather than make another thread, I thought I'd add another question here; Is the only way to access the cydia store through the iPhone, or can apps/themes/etc be downloaded on a computer and then synced?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Getting a router would probably be the easiest thing that would achieve what you want. CNET should have reviews of routers so that you could find one that is cheap and has good reliability.

3. boss.king thread starter macrumors 68040

boss.king

Ok, thanks. I'll look into it :)

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yup, router is the way to go, Linksys are pretty cheap and sturdy in the US (~ 60.00USD, not sure what that would be NZ)