Sharing problem, driving me nuts!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shepps52, Nov 20, 2015.

1. shepps52 macrumors newbie

Nov 19, 2015
    Hi all, signed up to this forum for help.

Basically I have a windows server with all my data on, my mac up until now, has connected to my data share on the server absolutely fine, never once had any problems.

Anyway, had to reinstall the Windows OS. Done that, set the server back up exactly how it was prior to hard drive failure. Shared the data folder etc etc

Anyway, so I go to my mac, hit connect to server, put in the ip address, it then asks me for the username and password like it usually would, but no matter what I do or do not put in that box it just shakes, and rejects it.

I've checked and double checked my setting on both Mac and Windows and they're fine. The workgroups on both machines are the same as I was told this could be a problem.

Im at a loss now, got a server that I can't connect to - Giant paperweight sat on the floor.

I've spent days looking around for a solution and it doesn't look like anyone has ever had this problem.

P.S I also set up from the windows machine as public folder, with guest access and still the mac will reject the login even if I hit the Guest button! What the hell is going on!?!?

PPS both computer are linked on the same router, both with static IP addresses.

Any help would be awesome right now as I calmly having to "breath" before this windows machine goes flying out the window :)

2. satcomer macrumors 603

Feb 19, 2008
    The Finger Lakes Region
    Did you check the Time on the server? What version of Windows Server are you using? Plus is the Mac part of a Domain you setup in the server?

Also check to Windows software firewall setup and make sure sharing ports are allowed though!
  3. shepps52 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 19, 2015
    Ah, been a while, (away with work)

So, I got home last night, check the time AND date, turns out the time was correct but the date wasn't, how I didnt see that I dont know.
    But changed the date to the correct one, and hey presto! Works like a charm

Thank you Satcomer, the simplest things can go a miss until someone points them out!