Sharing purchase on iTune account

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 67 Goat, Sep 17, 2010.

1. 67 Goat macrumors newbie

I can't see purchases made by my wife when I log in to iTunes (and vice versa). We have one account and we'd like to share a few songs. We both use the same machine, however we each have our own log in. Is this causing the problem?

2. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

It should not matter who logs in on the machine, as long as the iTunes account log in information is the same for both users.

3. 67 Goat thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't think it should make any difference, but for some reason, it acts as if we have two different accounts. I'm not sure what to try.

4. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

5. 67 Goat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I had not seen that article. I tried to follow the article steps, but hit a few snags:

1. I moved the iTunes Media folder, but still had the same problem. So I tried moving the both iTunes Music folders, but I get a conflict with the 2 folders having the same name. Should I just put the contents of both into a public iTunes Music folder?

2. I don't have a "Consolidate Library" option in my Advanced menu (or any menu that I could find).

6. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

before you continue, could you let us know if you and the wife each have your own user account on the Mac or do you both use the same ?
    i'm asking because if both of you use the same user account, there shouldn't be two iTunes folders ...

the consolidation option is found in iTunes > file > library > organize library

JG

7. 67 Goat thread starter macrumors newbie

The machine is a PC running Vista. We each have our own user account.

8. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

in that case, the consolidation option will be found under the edit menu

okay, i'm usually not doing windows but i reckon this should work:

log into your wife's account and move the iTunes music (or media) folder to the public folder.

log back into your account and launch iTunes. go preferences > advanced and uncheck copy files to ... when adding to library and okay out.

next, either drag your wife's music folder from the the public folder into an open iTunes window or use the add to library from the file (or edit) menu and navigate to your wife's music folder inside the public folder.

when done, go back to preferences > advanced and re-check copy to ...

JG

9. 67 Goat thread starter macrumors newbie

That worked great! The only minor issue left is that my stuff isn't showing up on iTunes. I'm guessing I need to move the contents of my iTunes Music folder into the folder on the public drive. or will "consolidate" work now?