Sharing Question?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Itskorbitch!, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Itskorbitch! macrumors regular

So I have a iMac, and recently bought a MacBook Pro. I would like to share my Calendar with my iPhone, and both Macs. Right now my iMac, and iPhone share my calendar. I cant seem to figure out how to share my calendar to my MacBook Pro with the recent Mavericks upgrade?

I would ALSO like to share my iTunes library between both Macs, is this possible?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just sign up for a free iCloud account from Apple and use that to sync everything between all your devices.

For iTunes, go to iTunes preferences and in the Sharing panel select "Share my library on my local network."

3. Itskorbitch! thread starter macrumors regular

I have an iCloud account, thats why i'm kind of confused? do i need to get the @cloud email or whatever?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You don't have to use the mail part of it it you don't want. In OS X and iOS there is a list of checkboxes for which iCloud services you want to use. You can just leave the iCloud mail turned off and turn on all the other sync stuff.

5. Itskorbitch! thread starter macrumors regular

okay, I do have the calendar app on ios switched to green. but its not syncing to the MacBook, does it take a while?

6. Itskorbitch! thread starter macrumors regular

Well I got the iTunes to work, thank you.
    still no luck with calendar :(

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do you have iCloud sync turned on on the Mac? Go to System Preferences and there is an iCloud pane there.

You need to have Lion 10.7 or better for this. You new Macbook will or course have newer than 10.7, but I don't know what you have on tour iMac.

New Calendar events should sync in just a few seconds. Make sure iCloud sync is on on both ends then create a new event and see if it syncs.

8. Itskorbitch! thread starter macrumors regular

the iMac has 10.9, and my calendar is already synced to the iMac. iCloud is also on for the mac. its just the MacBook that I am having trouble with. I keep "Refreshing" but no events that are on my iMac or iPhone are showing up?

9. Itskorbitch! thread starter macrumors regular

okay, so I made an event on my iPhone and it showed up instantly... I guess it just doesn't sync current events?

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

On the Macs if you go to Calendar and click show calendar list in the view menu you will see all the calendars on your Mac. You should see a heading for the iCloud calendar and another grouping with your old calendar listed as "On my Mac". Select the On my Mac calendar then go to File/Export/Export... to export that calendar to your Desktop.

Now make sure in Calendar Preferences the iCloud calendar is set as the default calendar for new entries.

Now go to File/Import/Import... and point to the calendar file on your desktop we exported earlier. It should ask where you want to import. Select the new iCloud calendar to import it to. That should pull all your old calendar entires into the new iCloud calendar. In a minute you will see the entries sync across all devices.

If this works, you can delete the On my Mac calendar.