Sharing usb/fat32/other file systems using AFP

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by tarjan, Nov 21, 2011.

1. tarjan macrumors regular

Try as I might, I am unable to get afp to share anything other than normal HFS volumes in lion. Does anyone know a way around this? All of the searching I have done gets me to time machine stuff, which isn't what I need. I plug in a fat32 usb drive, I want that drive to be shared like snow leopard. Same thing with zfs shares.

(Other than samba3, I already have that loaded and working but would like to simplify this down to a single solution and AFP is my preference.)

2. tarjan thread starter macrumors regular

Has anyone come up with a workaround to sharing non hfs+ file systems directly? (other than samba3, I have that working but there are some reasons I would like to stick with afp)

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You're sharing with other Macs, right? If you have a mixed environment, I'm assuming you're using software on the non-Macs to make them understand AFP shares. My Googling isn't helping either - I tried searching for "mac os x lion afp sharing" and "mac os x lion afp sharing non hfs".

4. tarjan thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, just other macs. Frustrating as heck since every sd card out there uses fat32 for compatibilities sake. I use that as part of my workflow sometimes coming from my cameras, just share it out and viola. There are other ways, but...

I also have zfs providing a single large tank for backups and file storage. Works extremely well but you CANNOT share this volume now, worked great in SL. Lion is specifically not allowing it to be shared and without a good reason why. The interfaces clearly make you think it is shared.