Sharing: Video footage from a concert using an iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saving107, Sep 20, 2014.

1. saving107, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Just wanted to share my videos that I recorded last night at a concert using my iPhone 6, give an example of what to expect of the camera. I think it did a good job for a low light environment and the sound came out very clear considering I was only a few feet away from the speakers (no distortion).

This is Interpol and it was recorded at the Ace of Spades in Sacramento.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Others are welcomes to share their videos that they've recorded with their new iPhone.

2. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Very good exposure.
    Here is Reznor on a Samsung S4 for comparison. Really could have benefitted from better focus in these pics and the sound from recordings is so blown out by the bass it's almost unusable.

3. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Wow, those shots are really good for such an environment. :)

4. Billymac19 macrumors regular

Billymac19

wow just opened on my macbook full screen, looks amazing, and sounds quite good too, nice job!

5. HiRez, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

This is the type of environment where the Exposure Lock feature can really help you. Get one of the band members with the white spotlight on them, expose for the face (using the slider for exposure comp if needed), then long-press to lock it down. Then, when you snap pics, whatever is in the spot (assuming they are using it when you take the photo) will be properly exposed and you won't end up with those nasty blown out highlights. Stage lighting is hell.

6. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

So no doubt the iPhone 6 did an amazing job recording that, one of the best from a smartphone.

On the other hand, people recording concerts on smartphones - the reason I refuse to go to concerts. It's beyond annoying and distracting.

[​IMG]

7. saving107 thread starter macrumors 603

saving107

At the concert last night no one took out their phones until the last 3-4 songs, everyone enjoyed the show and had a good time and at the end tried to capture some images.

If you see the angle of my video/pictures, I hold the phone under my chin (i'm a tall guy) and I also turn down my brightness all the way down so that it doesn't distract me or anyone around me.

But every concert is different,

8. Gooberton macrumors 65816

Wow. The 6 really needs the optical stabilization

9. saving107 thread starter macrumors 603

saving107

It would have been nice, but one reason I chose to go with the iPhone 6 was because I know I go to concerts often and I don't want to be holding such a large device up for pictures.

10. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

11. Gooberton macrumors 65816

I was considering both. Haha. But now that I have the plus, and my wife has the 6 I could never go back. The plus is an experience all different

12. saving107 thread starter macrumors 603

saving107

I haven't held one yet, might go to the mall later on and swing by the Apple store to see first hand, the iPhone 6 feels big enough already but I won't judge until i've held both.

13. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

You're what? 5'3"? That would suck even wihout 'corders.

This is why you get the first few rows or VIP access. The stage is all yours.

14. Puonti macrumors 6502a

For video or photos?

15. Gooberton macrumors 65816

Videos. It's VERY noticeable the 6+ is much better. I have it, my wife has the 6

16. Puonti macrumors 6502a

Optical image stabilization does not apply to videos as far as I know. Cinematic video stabilization (as demonstrated in the keynote) does, and that's a software feature available on both phones.

17. kamran9558 macrumors regular

you are right, OIS is only for photos

18. meagain macrumors 68030

Where are you guys getting this that OIS is only for photos. It's my strong understanding it shines with Video. Pogue tested this also and it does work. he put both phones on a bike.

If you zoom in on something for video, especially a moving target - OIS helps greatly for this. So IDU the 'only helps for photos' comments.

----------

I don't suppose it's possible to test them together and put it on youtube? I'd love to see the differences you're getting.

19. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Why? So he can look like a Padhole taking pics?

[​IMG]

20. cynics macrumors G3

I think its pretty well established by now OIS in the iPhone is only used for stills in the 6+. Cinematic video stabilization is the new features for video stabilization for the 6 and 6+. Apple outlines this fairly well on their webpage when you compare iPhones under video recording.

----------

Apples website under video recording. Also the lack of any mention of it at the keynotes when doing showing the bike video was demoed.

21. Candurin macrumors regular

Not true at all. OIS provides excellent benefits for videos as well as photos. I have the 6 so I don't worry about the benefit.

22. meagain macrumors 68030

Right. Videos is the whole point of OIS. Fact.

23. Puonti macrumors 6502a

Now that we have the evidence against OIS in video on iPhone 6 Plus (such as it is), where's the evidence for it?

24. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

25. munkydust macrumors member

PC Mag review