Sharing Windows Printer with OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bolteh, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Bolteh macrumors regular

Hello!

We have 2 computers over here, one uses Windows Vista, the other is an iMac with OS X Snow Leopard. They're both connected to a hub, said hub is connected to the modem. The Windows machine has 2 printers connected to it, an HP DeskJet and an Epson Stylus.

Now, I would like to access one of those 2 printers from within OS X, so I can actually print without moving files between both computers through an USB stick or whatever. I've put both printers in Windows Vista on "Shared", but I can't seem to find them anywhere in OS X. So I guess I'm doing something massively wrong.

Below is a chart of how this "network" looks like.

[​IMG]

So, is it possible like this to get access to the printers on the Vista machine from within OS X? If so, how do I properly set it up?

Thanks in advance!

2. seanf macrumors 6502

Try installing Bonjour on the Vista machine. This should make it simple to share printers attached to either computer

Sean :)

3. Bolteh thread starter macrumors regular

It is installed, but I have no idea what it does or how to access it or whatever :/

Edit: *Ok, reinstalling worked, found the Wizard.. Now the Windows PC finds the old, semi-broken printer connected to my Mac, but I still can't access the working printers on the Windows PC..

4. Bolteh thread starter macrumors regular

Don't tell me I'm the first one in the world trying this? :/ It's really urgent :<

5. armand53080 macrumors newbie

Sharing Windows Printer with OS X

Under File>Print>Printer:Add Printer... can you see the printer at all if you click on the Windows tab?

Attached Files:

6. Bolteh thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, that's the weird bit.. In Vista, I can access the shared files on this Mac. On this Mac, I can connect to the Vista machine (Go -> Connect to server), and check the shared files over there. So we're in the same workgroup for sure (even made an unique name for this workgroup, and both Vista and OSX use that workgroup name), yet I can't spot either of the printers at all :(

7. jasontrucks76 macrumors member

I have basically the same set up. However I have the printers plugged into the switch (hub). This may make a difference... Try switching the set up.

All you should have to do is put in the printer install disk and select network install. Then everything else should happen under the hood so to speak. I have a networked install for 4 computers to share. 3 macs and 1 PC. It has been a while since i set it up but It can be done and should be relatively easy.

If you do not have the install disks that came with the printers you should be able to go to the printer manufacturer web site and down load the specific drivers you may need.

Good luck!

JT

8. Bolteh thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, you can just connect them to the hub? Neat. I'll try that at some point then, but for now I seem to have got working for the HP printer, though I would've preferred the Epson, since it's way better quality than the HP.

I pretty much just added a new button to the Printer windows, called Advanced, and configured it so it connects to the IP of the Vista machine. This fixed it for the HP, but the Epson gives an error when I try to print. I tried reinstalling the drivers and even installing the CUPS drivers, but nothing seems to have worked so far.

Also, I'm not sure how long this will work, since the IP will probably change at some point. Though I guess I can fix that by adding the computer name of the Vista machine instead of the IP.

Thanks for the infos.